PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

klause

Afternoon All,
I picked up a gorgeous little pipe recently, and it's a bit of a mystery to me. It's the one at the bottom of the Picture:
image-e1480946439748.jpeg

Top pipe is for scale (a standard Pete), but for accuracy, it's 4.5 inches long and the bowl is 1 1/4 inches tall. The only markings are: Petersons (over Dublin). The P is the old Peterson's script.
image-1-e1480946585965.jpeg

The tenon is what I expect from an early 20th century pipe.
image-2-e1480946527665.jpeg

It's a very elegant, sleek little pipe:
image-3-e1480946498237.jpeg

The pipe is hardly smoked with only a slight rim darkening on the right side, and required absolutely no cleaning. However, I do need to shine up the stem a bit.
I've done all the usual searches, but I've come up with nothing. Everything I know about Peterson's (not a lot) tells me this is a pre-WW1 jobbie.
Has anyone seen a Peterson like this before?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Peterson had a "Juniors" line that was in their 1947 catalog (per Mark Irwin). That looks size-wise like my 411 Bullcap and 407 Kapet pipes. Unfortunately, the catalog doesn't appear to be available anywhere online, but it will be in Mark's upcoming book.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I have a small Peterson with similar nomenclature, but with a "3" after the "Dublin." Also, mine is marked "Irish Free State," so it's definitely post-WWI (though not by a lot).
l0ZmEhr.jpg

UrKAo7H.jpg

K

klause

Al, thanks. I think I'll be getting a copy of Mark's book when it's out. I saw your pipes - they were gorgeous, especially the bullcap - I'll admit to a mild case of envy.
Wes, that's a lovely little pipe - great condition for its age.
No COM or number on mine.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Lovely to see photos of such fine pipes, from a time when smaller pipes were the 'norm'.

Perfectly proportioned petersons!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Smoking some Black Irish X in my little Pete. It's perfect for that. I hadn't smoked this pipe in months -- thanks for the reminder, Jason!

K

klause

Wes, sounds perfect - might have to crack a tin myself!
In relation to age, Dave confirmed my initial thoughts. 1910-1915 or 1916. No Com, and no Patent markings, along with the forked P.
While have a very close look to see if there were other faded marks I noticed a tiny hairline crack in the shank - so, off to the boys in Petersons for a silver band!!!
I think its worth it :)
Thanks for the comments, Gents.

Status
Not open for further replies.