Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spa32

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2019
Wisconsin, USA
I recommend Savinelli with no hesitation. All of my 34 briar pipes are Savinelli. I own pipes from their Series 3 to their Autograph lines. I was fortunate to have visited the factory in Barasso in April of this year. It was an amazing experience to see their operation and to hear all the details.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Idk if anyone else has found this to be true but I have also found a difference between the briar quality of the savs and Pete’s ($120.00 on down). Not in appearance or grain though the savs and Rossi’s may have more fills etc. the Pete’s are denser, heavier and the bowls tend to get hotter. Not unmanageable but a difference none the less.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Savinelli. I see you are looking to buy off ebay so presumably a used (err, I mean "estate") pipe. Sometimes great deals can be found. Not long ago I got a nearly unsmoked Savinelli Punto Oro, with box and sock and with two stems (one acrylic one vulcanite) for 11 bucks. I like my other Savenilli pipes too.
One Peterson I had was a real clunker. I tossed it into the sea in the hope that it will make a better hermit crab home than it did a pipe. Some people love Peterson, even after they buy one with a problem. Among the reported problems are drilling issues , staining problems (inside the bowl sometimes), and whistling noises. You can find lots of discussion about this on here.

Reactions: PadrePiper887

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
@kurtbob , I have been observing the same as you, except that my Petersons(have had them quite a lot over the years) did not get any hotter than any of my Savinellis rather opposite, but definitely the briar in Petersons seem to be denser&heavier
You are correct sir, to be more specific once you induce the heat into the briar of the bowl it just takes longer to dissipate due to the density. I didn’t word that correctly the first time!

shep

Lurker
Dec 17, 2018
Good to know. Thanks. Personally, I wouldn't buy one from that line as I prefer filters, but many are the opposite and will go for unfiltered pipes.

I have several of both pipes and only have had 3 pipes that had drilling issues and they were Savinellis. I must have gotten them all. My pipe shop made good on them so no harm done. I have an equal number of Savs and Petersons and love them both.

laniromee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2018
Not the biggest fan of either, but given the choice I would go with Savinelli. But if I could I'd rather invest that money on a Stanwell or Briarworks pipe.

Reactions: kurtbob
Status
Not open for further replies.