PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

PadrePiper887

Lurker
Sep 8, 2019
I have been looking at both Petes and Savs over ebay. What are your thoughts? Which of the two is better? Thanks!

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
I have several of both and enjoy both greatly. For normal bent pipes Savinelli is a better option due to the widespread drilling issues from Peterson. However, that is only for the non system pipes. If you want to spend a little more money on a bent shape, Peterson system pipes are great smokers. For straight pipes they are equally as enjoyable. It really comes down to what you like more, the feel, the look, etc.

Reactions: PadrePiper887

PadrePiper887

Lurker
Sep 8, 2019
I have several of both and enjoy both greatly. For normal bent pipes Savinelli is a better option due to the widespread drilling issues from Peterson. However, that is only for the non system pipes. If you want to spend a little more money on a bent shape, Peterson system pipes are great smokers. For straight pipes they are equally as enjoyable. It really comes down to what you like more, the feel, the look, etc.
Thank you for your insights! You're right but I'm currently torn between the two. I wish I had enough budget to buy them both. Thanks!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Gotta go with Savinelli here, personally. More shape variety, more consistent drilling and quality, and nearly all excellent smokers. Peterson pipes are mostly good, but not quite on par with Savs, generally, IMO.

With Petes you get what you pay for. Price and quality are pretty positively correlated. With Savs you get great value for the price in every price point.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I'd go with Savinelli, having heard too many horror stories about Peterson and their drilling and staining issues. My local tobacconist stocks lots of Petersons and he even has "Peterson Month" sales, but even he said that to avoid issues one needs to go with the higher grade Petes—over the $100 mark. I'd also buy one that's not dyed black. If I don't want to spend a lot, Savs are the best bet.

Reactions: Casual

Jef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2019
North Carolina
I have two Petersons and enjoy them both. However, one of them is not shaped well. There are just issueswith how it was cut. It is not symetric. Many years ago I had a Savineli and enjoyed it It was well made. But it was an 80s era pipe. The only thing I did not like was the acrylic stem. The are just too hard for me. Personelly I would try a Savineli first. I would not count out a Peterson, but I would want to see it before I would buy one.

Jef

Reactions: PadrePiper887
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Savinelli but also Peterson might do well If I could afford to spend at least $ 145 , better leave alone them entry-level Petersons unless You can inspect them prior to buying or if the vendor provides free returns, also with Petersons it might be beneficial if You are already somewhat familiar with how pipe should be constructed, so to say ,it is better that one has some prior knowledge in pipes and understands how to find out flaws and factory imperfections,often those performance-related issues are hidden and reveal only after few smokes ,

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
I also have several of both but, must say that the Savs and their discount cousins the Rossi’s are some of the best smokers I own! If you are allergic to pipes with filters just toss the filter and I also find they smoke better without the adapter

Reactions: dcon

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Another vote for Savinelli, and I'll echo what the others have said about Savs versus Petes. I've owned a few of both. Never gotten rid of a Savinelli. Can't say the same for Peterson.

Status
Not open for further replies.