PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I started with aromatics, and while I have tried other kinds of tobacco, I often come back and try a new aromatic, especially during this brief warm spell we're having. I have liked just about every aro I've had, with the notable exception of C&D Autumn Evening. So I had high hopes for Nutty Cut, though it's a thicker ribbon cut than I prefer, and rather dry. Kept a flame well, didn't bite until the end, and tasted fine for the first third or so of the bowl. After that? It felt as though I was smoking an ashtray, a feeling that didn't change one bit right on through the end of my smoke. I tried adjusting a couple things (tightness or looseness of the packing, presence or absence of ash, etc.), but nothing helped. No flavor subtlety whatsoever. Gave it the ol' college try, though. I might slip a Boveda packet in the jar for a couple days and see if it helps to rehydrate, but I would't recommend this one to anybody. There are a bevy of great aros to sample, even Peterson blends like Sunset Breeze or Connoisseur's Choice. 3 out of 10.

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
Thanks much for the review, I always appreciate reading someones experiences. What did it taste like in the more acceptable first 1/3rd of the bowl?

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Thanks much for the review, I always appreciate reading someones experiences. What did it taste like in the more acceptable first 1/3rd of the bowl?
Admittedly, I'm still a beginner, so my flavor detecting abilities aren't as refined as some of the guys on here. The closest I think I can compare it to is charred coconut flakes, but without the sweetness. Pretty mild at first, a little like Conoisseur's Choice, but this one went rancid on me pretty quickly. Left my balsa filter pretty wet too, even though the tobacco itself was pretty dry. I guess my rehydration idea could end up backfiring in the dottle department. C'est la vie. Trial and error is the only way to go!

Reactions: BROBS and Jacob74

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Hydration might go the wrong way. Wet tobacco smokes hot and wet and tastes ashy or bad.
You're probably right, but it's no good the way it is now, so I don't really have much to lose by trying. It just might not be a good blend, period, regardless of what I do. Lots of others to try anyway, so I'll just put a dunce cap on it and stick it in the corner for now...

kimbiker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2014
Just finished a tin. Called Special Cut now over here.

Quite enjoyed it with the Burley and black cavendish flavours.

Great thing about the hobby....all subjective.

Kingsley

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
PA
I’d believe you, I recently had the displeasure of trying Vauen’s Italian Blend, and it was baaad stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.