PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastwoodaudio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2013
Hi All,
I purchased a Peterson Standard System 313 pipe back in September from SmokingPipes.com, and this happened when I picked it up off of my pipe rack today and removed the stem:
21des76.jpg

Should I attempt to fix it myself? Should I try to send it back? I've only used it about 5 times total.
Thanks everyone.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Why not just give SmokingPipes a call and ask them? They may have seen similar problems in the past and know an easy, effective fix. Or they may just say, "Send it back." After all, it's still under warranty.
Bob

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Sorry to hear that. Heat (mainly) and other factors (weather? Humidity or the lack thereof?) along with the fact that sometimes they just don't put much glue on there (pick your pipe maker) will make it happen. Perhaps the military mount got stuck and the glue gave way, glad it wasn't the stem. Clean off the old glue and apply a couple drops, make sure it's on the right side. Or call cust svc in the morning, and I'll be gluing it for you here shortly ... 8)

Was it glued on to begin with? I've yet to repair a band on a Peterson, but the other brands that I've repaired didn't initially have glue. Usually, they don't slide on easily, because the idea is to slightly compress the briar in that location to prevent splitting. We usually have to cool the briar and heat the band slightly and pop them on. I wouldn't have figured Peterson to be any different from the other pipe brands that I've worked on.
As for what to do... if you glued it on, the band would merely be decorative and not serving the purpose that a band usually serves. So.... that would be your call.

eastwoodaudio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2013
Yes, it was glued on to begin with, which surprised me a bit. I assumed it had a purpose, to make it somewhat less dangerous to the pipe should I need to remove the stem after smoking. (Isn't that kind of the point of a military stem?) I did think about gluing it back on, however I was worried about it not serving the purpose that it was intended for (I assume it prevents the shank from breaking when inserting it, as it is a "system").
I think you're onto something cosmicfolklore.
RCStan - I assume you work for smokingpipes.com? If I returned it, would they send me a replacement or simply glue it back on and then I would risk it not working as it was intended to?
So many thoughts...
Thanks for all your help gentlemen!

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
The cap/band/mount is pressed on and glued. The metal-to-stem point of contact is what constitutes the military mount. Other pipes have a solid piece of metal serving as a shank extension of sorts. Some use acrylic.. As long as the main point of contact is stem to metal, it's all good. Other than the Spigots I know of no Peterson that is metal-to-metal.

I am one of the three guys in Restoration at SPC. Your question would be better directed to Customer Service, call Josh at 126 in the morning.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I had the same thing happen to a Peterson system I have, I just heated up the metal band and pressed it back on, the heat melts the glue on the stem and boom....stuck.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Peterson doesn't use very good glue on their mounts. There is a video floating around youtube that shows them using a wood glue solution. I have put a dot of Gorilla glue on each side of my pipe mounts. They will never come off. It will take you more time to call SP and dick around with it then just put a couple dots of glue on it.

eastwoodaudio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2013
RCStan and everyone else, thank you very much for your feedback, I certainly appreciate it. It seems the stem doesn't really come into contact with the metal band in all areas, I'll try to upload a picture. But I'm assuming it SHOULD come into contact. That's why I bought a system, I like the military stem and the idea of it being less prone to breakage. So I guess at this point, my question is less of "should I fix it myself" and more of, "is my Peterson defective?" Maybe im worrying too much. :)
9rjbko.jpg

imp2f9.jpg

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
eastwood,
You made me go to the pipe rack :puffpipe: and inspect the 6 Systems ( 5 Standard and one Deluxe ). Looking at them, especially the newest one which I have smoked perhaps a dozen times, it appears the inside of the mortise will slowly shrink over time allowing more metal-to-stem contact. On my oldest System which dates from the 1950's the wood has shrunk with usage to where it's about 1 mm ID larger than the hole in the metal collar. My newest still has some wood showing, IIRC when new never smoked the wood was showing about a half a mm.
To answer your questions, yes, you can glue it yourself, and no, you do not have a defective Peterson. Use the least amount of glue so it doesn't ooze out over the finish, that is a pain to fix and makes the pipe look like crap IMO.
Congrats on keeping the System well tidy and clean BTW.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I have had this happen from time to time. I just clean off the tip of the shank and put some Elmers wood glue on and slip the band back on, then wipe off any excess. I like the wood glue because you can adjust the band if needed. With super glue, you do not have much time to position the band the way you want it.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
if you are happy with the pipe otherwise.. simply put a drop of glue several places around the lip and put it in place. then leave it alone overnight and you will be good to go and never know the difference.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I think you may be making a much bigger deal of this than you need to.
The metal band is purely decorative. The Peterson System has nothing to do with it, referring to the additional chamber drilled into the stem to collect excess moisture.
Bob

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
I have a system exactly like that. The stem has no contact with the band, only with the wood. The band only strengthens the wood. I actually had a Peterson Antique collection, where the stem had contact with the band and was scratched badly in this place. I had to sand the band a bit to get a good fit. Glue the band back on and you're good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.