PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

K

klause

Peterson Meerschaum Tankard Aboriginal Rustication
Pipe has new acrylic stem, by Petersons. Approx length 5", height 1 3/4".

IMG_3550.JPG

IMG_3552.JPG

IMG_3554.JPG

Edited to keep as discussion/informational thread on an interesting and seemingly rare pipe - Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: ofafeather
K

klause

From I know it was from the early 70s. There are plenty of meers out there with that rustication, from that period, but I have never seen it on a tankard before, or in black on any Peterson meer.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
From I know it was from the early 70s. There are plenty of meers out there with that rustication, from that period, but I have never seen it on a tankard before, or in black on any Peterson meer.
I don’t believe the meer was originally black. That scalloped Aboriginal finish came in white.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Right. I haven’t seen those either. I have an Aboriginal meer from ‘73. It’s a cool finish, especially in a meer.

Reactions: BROBS
K

klause

it appears it also came in black!

If you go into the Petersons shop on Grafton street today you will be able to see, touch and hold black Meerschaum pipes - or, at least you could the last time I was there just before christmas. ?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
it appears it also came in black!

If you go into the Petersons shop on Grafton street today you will be able to see, touch and hold black Meerschaum pipes - or, at least you could the last time I was there just before christmas. ?
The new meers are Turkish. This is African meer from Manx. I believe yours is that dark from smoking it. The only black meers at that time had the rusticated finish.. aboriginal didn’t come in black from what I’ve seen. I’ll have to check my book.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Brobs, this is definitely NOT black from being smoked. But, hey ho - either way, it's Black. Absolutely no doubts about it ?
No worries man and I’m not trying to shit in your thread just a curiosity as I’ve not seen one or seen reference to one. Certainly doesn’t mean that it didn’t exist! Regardless it’s a nice pipe and a good deal. ?

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Brobs, this is definitely NOT black from being smoked. But, hey ho - either way, it's Black. Absolutely no doubts about it ?
Would you be willing to start a thread in the Pupes section with this pipe? I think others would be interested in the discussion and it would be a shame to have it buried in a sale thread. I think a meer in the Tankard shape and aboriginal finish is probably rare. A black one is probably unique. Great find.

Reactions: BROBS
K

klause

Brobs, no worries, mate - discussion is cool. I just had to laugh at the thought that it was that colour from being smoked - had visions of a fella who was a withered wrinkled wreck with lungs the likes of whichever the world had never seen, to get it to that state. Brilliant!

Ofafeather, I reckon the new owner should be the fella to start that thread - the pipe is no longer mine and they should have that fun ?

It'd certainly be an interesting thread, for sure.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Would you be willing to start a thread in the Pupes section with this pipe? I think others would be interested in the discussion and it would be a shame to have it buried in a sale thread. I think a meer in the Tankard shape and aboriginal finish is probably rare. A black one is probably unique. Great find.
After its delivery I’ll post up about and dig up history. I really enjoy that stuff so I’m in.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
After its delivery I’ll post up about and dig up history. I really enjoy that stuff so I’m in.
I’ll look up the section in my Peterson book which has the catalog entries. I do not believe this was an option. I just wonder if someone stained it black because it had some type of ugly or dirty looking markings on it. The fact it had no stem lends to the theory it may have been abused.

K

klause

It had a stem, it was damaged - I just got a replacement made.

The gents in the Peterson shop didn't see anything untoward about it, other than they fell in love with it. Nearly had to fight my way out of the shop with it ?

They're good fellas - always a pleasure popping in.