PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
I've been looking at these Peterson Meerschaums for awhile and, you guessed it, caved in to the desire to own one... From what I can tell, Cup O' Joes is the only place that are selling them... It's another Bulldog in Block Meerschaum with a colored finish, nickel band and fishtail bit.
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/fred/album/picture/3100

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
I've read so much regarding the focus that can be put towards the coloring of a meer over time that I wonder Fred.

Does having a pre-colored meer detract from the overall experience?

(ETA: Prolly doesn't or you wouldn't have purchased the thing!)
Aside from the query, that is a fetching pipe!

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
mshxl15r1-600x330.jpg

Pretty badass Fred.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Thanks guys. In answer to Olderthandirt's question..., not to me. All of my African Block Meerschaums have been colored with pigment at the factory. The unstained appearance of African Block is a mottled gray, that many find distracting. The pigment colored Meerschaums do eventually color over time, with smoking and waxing but the display is limited to the darker tones. Typically, the parts of the Pipe that get hot from the smoke will lighten during service. The presence or absence of surface coloration has no effect on the smoking qualities of the Pipe, but some might suggest that it does, based on the psychological impact of their own expectations. In the end, just as it is with Turkish Block, it is the individual character and quality of the stone that most heavily influences how these Pipes color. I have seen African Block Meerschaums that have colored all the way to black, but that will take a very long time to achieve.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
All of my African Block Meerschaums have been colored with pigment at the factory. The unstained appearance of African Block is a mottled gray, that many find distracting.
Oho then!

Glad I asked that question. I didn't now that about the African Block.

Thanks Fred

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Oho then! Glad I asked that question. I didn't now that about the African Block.

Thanks Fred. Olderthandirt
You're welcome. There is another aspect of African Block Meerschaum that is unique. African Block can also be naturally black. It is rare & I've got one that is a Pioneer. I've only seen it 5 or 6 times before and the vast majority of ABM that have this color because it was applied in the finish at the factory. I know nothing about it and have not seen anything in the literature either.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Thanks guys. I've made inquiry to Angela Fortune; Kapp & Peterson Limited, for more information on the origin of this Pipe. I don't think that there are a lot of them around..., or at least none that I could find. I'll get back with whatever information I come across.

bmalo

Lurker
Aug 23, 2011
Peterson has again made one of the more stunning pieces of functional art I've had the priviledge of seeing!

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Thanks guys, but I'm thinking that these Pipes have been out of production for awhile...

The Peterson Isle of Man factory ceased operation about 1981 and the production of African Meers was moved to Dublin and continued there until 1986. The Isle of Man factory continued making African block Meers for a few years under the Barling brand. Back in the '70's the source of Block was Somalia. The Laxey mines in Africa shut down in '06. This seems to explain why I haven't been able to see them being sold anyplace else... Trying to figure out the legacy of these African Block Meerschaums can give you a brain cramp. Maybe Peterson can shed some light on the matter...

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Wow thats a nice a pipe and a history lesson to boot. I think a pipe has more character and is much more appealing when someone describes it with the passion you have Fred.

Status
Not open for further replies.