PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I didn't know these were periodic releases. Does anyone know if they have been discontinued and then re-released in the past? The ownership of Peterson has changed in the last year or two, so old routines may not be continued. I bought a pipe in the Peterson "Around the World Series," with pipes dedicated to various nations -- Ireland, U.S., France and Germany among others. I bought the Ireland pipe, a bent bulldog with a bright red stain and wide nickel band, but I haven't seen that series repeated since it discontinued about five years ago. You could communicate with Peterson. You might contact Iwan Ries that has a remarkable inventory of pipes, maybe 15K of them. You might find them on eBay. Personally, I wouldn't bet on seeing a re-release.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I didn't know these were periodic releases. Does anyone know if they have been discontinued and then re-released in the past? The ownership of Peterson has changed in the last year or two, so old routines may not be continued. I bought a pipe in the Peterson "Around the World Series," with pipes dedicated to various nations -- Ireland, U.S., France and Germany among others. I bought the Ireland pipe, a bent bulldog with a bright red stain and wide nickel band, but I haven't seen that series repeated since it discontinued about five years ago. You could communicate with Peterson. You might contact Iwan Ries that has a remarkable inventory of pipes, maybe 15K of them. You might find them on eBay. Personally, I wouldn't bet on seeing a re-release.
Yes they have a few times

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Other than the first issue, which was a duplicate of Twain's pipe, isn't the series just a marketing thing, like the Sherlock Holmes series? Not knocking it--one of my absolute favorite pipes is my Squire--but I'm curious about what your interest in these is. Perhaps there's a good replacement for whatever it is you're looking for. This place abounds with pipesmokerly knowledge. Good question, though. I'm curious myself. Wish they made the Deluxe with a tapered stem--which is why I grabbed one of the original MTs years ago. That and the fact that I wanted to be as cool as he was.Mark_TwainsOwn_Pipe.JPG

Last edited:

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Other than the first issue, which was a duplicate of Twain's pipe, isn't the series just a marketing thing, like the Sherlock Holmes series? Not knocking it--one of my absolute favorite pipes is my Squire--but I'm curious about what your interest in these is. Perhaps there's a good replacement for whatever it is you're looking for. This place abounds with pipesmokerly knowledge. Good question, though. I'm curious myself. Wish they made the Deluxe with a tapered stem--which is why I grabbed one of the original MTs years ago. That and the fact that I wanted to be as cool as he was.View attachment 75540
?Man... if they actually made a reproduction of that muscularly shanked chubby cheeked egg instead of a random bent and a Tankard meant to look like the cobs he actually smoked, I might think it actually worth the price tag!

H

Hfinn

I love the work of Mark Twain, his humor and stair. It would be nice to have a set of pipes of the same name in the collection.

Reactions: ofafeather

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
There are many photos of Clemens in the last years of his life that capture him smoking cigars and pipes. Some candid, some clearly staged. The Peterson and a calabash seem to be what he was favoring at the time. Lots of cigars as well.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
For those few who haven't seen it. Twain's response to a reporter's query concerning corn cobs:

"Oh, no," he answered, "I never smoke a new corn-cob pipe. A new pipe irritates the throat. No corn-cob pipe is fit for anything until it has been used at least a fortnight."

"How do you manage then?" I asked. "Do you follow the example of the man with the tight boots;--wear them a couple of weeks before they can be put on?"

"No," said Mark Twain, "I always hire a cheap man--a man who doesn't amount to much, anyhow--who would be as well--or better--dead, and let him break in the pipe for me. I get him to smoke the pipe for a couple of weeks, then put in a new stem, and continue operations as long as the pipe holds together."