Peterson - "Made in Ireland" COM - It's Back!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Peterson is reintroducing the "Made in Ireland" COM. Mark Irwin details it and the variety of COM's used by Peterson since their inception. So, there's now a new, identifiable era at Peterson beginning in 2021. Check out his blog entry:

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Interesting. I was aware of the Hallmarks (metal mount markings), but didn’t realize that they were so many “Made in…” stamps.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Please correct me if I misspeak but would it be accurate to say that the new stamp doesn't define a new era per se? Isn't ownership and management a more conventional demarcator of era?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Please correct me if I misspeak but would it be accurate to say that the new stamp doesn't define a new era per se? Isn't ownership and management a more conventional demarcator of era?
Well for collectors, to date a pipe, the stamping defines a change in era's, which sometimes are marked by a change in ownership, but not always. When Peterson switched to Republic stamping, that had nothing to do with a change in ownership,right?

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I agree. A stamp helps to date a pipe to within an era, however (in my opinion) "a stamp does not an era make."
Decades from now, this stamp change will be used by eBay sellers to mark up transition pipes from the pre-pandemic era into the pandemic era, with a particular focus on the patent-prescription period. With the exception of pipes exported for sale down under, which obviously bare the COM “the free state of NZ”, new Peterson variants will be marked with their city of origin eg. “London made”.