Peterson Irish Seconds: ID Strange/Rare Stamping?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Law

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2020
Saudi Arabia
Title edited.

Greetings people!

I have recently purchased a classic billiard irish seconds (3) from smoking pipes Europe with a 9mm and just received it. Upon opening it and glaring at the pipe, I saw one of the best grains I have seen in a pipe. I was baffled, until I saw a stamping in the silver/nickel ring that says LPYSC 2020 and right under 1/16. I was also increasingly confused. I got a pipe, that costed around 60 dollars, stunning grain with 2 small filers on the bottom of the bowl, with a 1 in 16 stamping? what did I get here people? any ideas? as far as I know it has the same fillers as my 180 dollar spigot, with a better grain and some surface scratches that I believe could be buffed. I'll provide some pictures for your eyes to enjoy.tempImageW34OW3.jpgtempImageFiwBuR.jpgtempImageEsb4e4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Law

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2020
Saudi Arabia
Lovely pipe bro.

I could be way off, but a google search shows that LPYSC is a Spanish Facebook group for pipes smokers.
Noticed it could be a pipe that was meant for a small pipe club, someone gave me a clue to that. thanks for the search btw, I couldn't find any info.

Reactions: Ahi Ka and jpmcwjr

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I see beautiful Irish Seconds occasionally with very minimal flaw. Only think I can think of is those were made for high grade and since it didn't meet the grade were rejected. Some are such a minor defect as a tiny fill. Some are much better than pipe being sold at full price.

runscott

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I see beautiful Irish Seconds occasionally with very minimal flaw. Only think I can think of is those were made for high grade and since it didn't meet the grade were rejected. Some are such a minor defect as a tiny fill. Some are much better than pipe being sold at full price.

I mentioned this to the OP, but today's 'Irish Seconds' appear to be an actual line of less expensive pipes;whereas, the old ones (before they created this new line) often had mis-drilled stems or their shape was slightly off from a normal numbered pipe. I have a gorgeous 'Rathbone' shape that is natural and has no flaws at all in the stummel. These go very cheap on ebay, and are often tremendous bargains.

I did refinish the one below with oil and wax, but it arrived with nothing other than minor smoking and shelf-wear.

20220210_130410 2 2.jpg

Reactions: Hovannes

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My guess is that at the factory, things get sorted and batched in a hurry, and sometimes the good ones end up in the flawed pile. So you drew the long straw. Congratulations! It seems to be a fine pipe at a minimal price.

Reactions: Law