PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I was enjoying a few bowls of Irish Flake last night and was wondering which is more similar to IF, HH Bold Kentucky or HH Old Dark Fired? I realize that Irish Flake is its own beast, but in your estimations, which one is the closest? Actually, any others similar? I know K&K are making the Rattray's versions of the Peterson line still.
Thanks,

Matt

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I think it most resembles ODF, although the anise/licorice flavor distinguishes it.
To me, the dark fired leads in both the Irish Flake and the ODF, whereas it's the burley a bit more in the BK.
jay-roger.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
My olfactory memory isn't serving me well on this, but Mac Baren HH Burley Flake has the same ingredients, so you may find similarities.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Between those two BK has the most in common imo. It is smoother and way more refined than IF and lacks the topping, it is also thinner in body (not as rich). I like both and think there’s enough difference to fit both in a rotation.
Hh burley Flake is an entirely different smoke, but definitely one worth exploring.
Edit: 3P’s has much in common with IF, you trade wood smoke for dark frutiness that comes from the deeepest, darkest bowles of earth.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
I enjoy both ODF and BK.
I’m smoking more Irish Flake lately and would have to say, in my opinion, Bold Kentucky is closer.
I’d say if you mixed ODF with BK you’d be closer to the flavor profile because ODF is a little lighter in flavor to Irish Flake while I find Bold Kentucky to be a bit more earthy. If that makes any sense - it does in my simple brain.

Status
Not open for further replies.