PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I popped a tin of Irish Flake I'd been holding for a few years, one of the old square tins, and relished the flavor right away. It took a few bowls to understand drying was required, even though it doesn't feel particularly moist, but for me it works better left in a bowl, rubbed out, for a few days. This is a blend for burley smokers, since that's the base, but with good dimensions. It doesn't change much down the bowl, but it delivers a nice full-strength smoke and always is a happy thought when it comes around in rotation, sometimes ahead of its turn. It is a pleasing return to fundamentals after intermittent bowls of aromatics or milder blends. I rub out four or five bowls and let them dry in a bowl, and it provides a good long smoke, whether smoked up or smoked intermittently.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Burley isn't for everyone, but if you are a burley smoker, this could be your thing.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I'm not much of a burley fan but Irish Flake still makes my top 5 favorites. It tastes great and it's got enough nicotine to make me feel like I'm smoking. I also highly recommend it.

Reactions: anotherbob
Jan 27, 2020
As a lover of University Flake I have been meaning to try this. I hated my first burley which was MacBaren burley flake but after time I was able to enjoy it while mixed with Newminster 400. Burley grows on one.

• Love

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I couldn't agree more, @mso489 - it's a wonderful, satisfying smoke. I also pack it ahead of time, but I fold and stuff straight out of the tin the day before. It's just right to my tastes after about 12 hours, and usually burns right down to the bottom, very slowly, but with few, if any, relights.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Irish Flake is one of the blends I smoke the most of. It isn't complex, but it doesn't need to be. I don't particularly care for Burley, but Irish Flake is damn delicious. It is definitely on the more dark and fermented end of the spectrum, as opposed to nutty. I'm of the opinion that you can never have too many tins of it in the cellar. I only have 8... time to buy more!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Almost all of my Irish Flake is from 2012. I also have some 2007 rectangle tins which are really good as well. The longer it ages the more the Virginia flavors come through. I find the raisin and fig type flavors shine as it ages. It does also have some nicotine and I would say it is the strongest blend in my cellar.

Status
Not open for further replies.