Peterson Irish Flake: how strong is it? (first non-aromatic tobacco)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Machado, do you get nausea regardless of the pipe you smoke?
Do you mean pipe, or pipe tobacco?
Nausea happens every so often with random tobaccos.
But the nausea from this Peterson Irish Flake was just absurd.
I'm not giving up on it yet though.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Pipe. I was wondering if it's only with that Savinelli that got the cleaning treatment.
Sorry for beating a dead horse, but I still think that nicotine is not your problem.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Actually with the Savinelli I felt way less nausea than with this new Stanwell. Barely zero.
God knows why.
Maybe the Stanwell is the problem? You got me thinking...

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
OK, just tried a partial bowl in my old Savinelli and it's much better in all senses.
No nausea and the taste is much better.
I wonder if a pipe that isn't broken-in (the Stanwell) can make a person nauseated (?). Doesn't make a lot of sense but seems to be the only explanation.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Wondering if your having a reaction to briar. Was the Savinelli bowl coated with the black pre-carbonization when it was new? Was the Stanwell bowl bare/naked briar? Maybe the Stanwell bowl was stained inside?
I know you have experience with cigarettes and cigars correct and you had no issues with nicotine before this right?
Just a thought. Trying to eliminate variables.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Wondering if your having a reaction to briar. Was the Savinelli bowl coated with the black pre-carbonization when it was new? Was the Stanwell bowl bare/naked briar? Maybe the Stanwell bowl was stained inside?

The Savinelli was black inside, but I don't know if it was pre-carbonized. It tasted neutral to me. The Stanwell pre-carb had a strong taste though.
It's possible that you might be having a reaction to the chemicals used in the coating. Maybe your next pipes should be coatless.

And here I am with the salt and alcohol treatment and reaming again. I thought more or less the same thing as you thought. It's one step away from bare wood now. I'm being very careful not to over-ream it this time.
Oh, and the Irish Flake tasted waaaay better on my first pipe, the Imbuia Bazzanelli, which has quite some cake in it. Tastes way sweeter.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I think every manufacturer uses a different process or compound for their coatings. Funny thing is that these coatings are meant to hasten the build up of the famous cake.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Yes... I think that this does more harm than good, at least in my case.
"Haste makes waste"
Adding fake cake when you can just build it normally... I won't ever buy a coated pipe again.

monkeylyf

Lurker
Nov 1, 2018
Smoked a bowl last night, probably 3 hours after dinner. My stomach was turned upside down. My mistake on way too many retrohales...

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Machado@Thats a good bet,but take it easy,since as for me,I almost had created a burn out to two of my estates and one brand new,learned it hard way, whereas today when I have a pipe with a naked chamber,prior to first smoke I'd give a chamber a swirl or two of hone,I have found this helps in building a tiny carbon layer faster,agreed this very additional sugar while burning may also lead to some overheating issues.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Once I began to find this blend amazing and started to mix it with other tobaccos to tone it down, the tin was finished. What a shame.
It's really like a hammer in the head though. I only get to fully enjoy it if I tone it down. Despite its amazing taste, it's damn strong.
monkeylyf I understand how you feel...
Paul I thought this honey thing was a myth, nice to know it's true.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Partial bowls sounds like the way to go for now. You may be puffing too hard, so try to sip instead. Stay hydrated. I think you'll hit a stride where you'll enjoy the flavor and won't get the nausea, but take it slow.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
If you have more pipes you can also put a pipe aside when you're bored with Irish Flake and load another one with some other tobacco. I often pack a full bowl of it and when my nicotine needs are satisfied I switch to something lighter. It sometimes takes several days or even a week to finish it all.

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
I use old dark fired like that too, as a way to complement lighter tobaccos to give them more strength and flavour.

Status
Not open for further replies.