PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
So it's just the first bowl, so what do I know? But it is full-strength, full-flavored and a happy experience. I have one of the old rectangular tins, and the contents were fresh in texture and moisture content, came apart easily but stuck together as I packed the leaf. I did pile up a few matches keeping it lit as I tamped and sipped, but it was so tasty, I hardly noticed. I did not get a big nicotine hit, but I often don't, and I had had a big meal and nice wine beforehand. The only glitch as I enjoyed this first foray was the Peterson Donegal bent Calabash, in the last third of the bowl, clogged almost completely. I could still smoke, but the ease of draw and level of flavor were completely blocked, because of the sticky moisture of the pieces I suppose. So I let it cool a little and carefully took out the stem and cleared the shank, and the draw was completely open again. But for flavor, to me, a burley lover, this is a grand experience. I'd held the tin for some years, thinking it might be just another strong tobacco trip, an adventure, but not something I'd want every few days. Wrong. Such a bold landscape of flavor unfolds, it is my kind of leaf. On the strong end, just what I like.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
What's the difference between the old and the new?
Mso's tantalizing post inspired me to throw a couple tins in the cart but now I'm wondering if I should go for Stirling Flake instead.
The new has a light Erinmore-like topping, and not as strong/full flavored in my opinion. The old was just a great balance between naturally sweet Virginias and dark fired Kentucky, with no discernible topping. The new is not a bad blend, but I like the old version better.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
The new has a light Erinmore-like topping, and not as strong/full flavored in my opinion. The old was just a great balance between naturally sweet Virginias and dark fired Kentucky, with no discernible topping. The new is not a bad blend, but I like the old version better.
Then I may suspect this new incarnation may suit me better, liked the old as well, great taste but unfortunately, nicotine was a bit over the top for me,does this new one come in round tins?

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
So it's just the first bowl, so what do I know? But it is full-strength, full-flavored and a happy experience. I have one of the old rectangular tins, and the contents were fresh in texture and moisture content, came apart easily but stuck together as I packed the leaf. I did pile up a few matches keeping it lit as I tamped and sipped, but it was so tasty, I hardly noticed. I did not get a big nicotine hit, but I often don't, and I had had a big meal and nice wine beforehand. The only glitch as I enjoyed this first foray was the Peterson Donegal bent Calabash, in the last third of the bowl, clogged almost completely. I could still smoke, but the ease of draw and level of flavor were completely blocked, because of the sticky moisture of the pieces I suppose. So I let it cool a little and carefully took out the stem and cleared the shank, and the draw was completely open again. But for flavor, to me, a burley lover, this is a grand experience. I'd held the tin for some years, thinking it might be just another strong tobacco trip, an adventure, but not something I'd want every few days. Wrong. Such a bold landscape of flavor unfolds, it is my kind of leaf. On the strong end, just what I like.
I like Irish Flake a lot. Unfortunately, my supplier stopped carrying it. If I ever get the chance to buy it again, I'll dive in there. Same goes for Stirling Flake.

uprightman

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2019
Central Pennsylvania

...Sigh, another one for the list I suppose.

• Haha
Reactions: seanv
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Then I may suspect this new incarnation may suit me better, liked the old as well, great taste but unfortunately, nicotine was a bit over the top for me,does this new one come in round tins?
The new one is not a lightweight, but like I said, I remember the K&K version being stronger. The tin note on the old version was glorious. Just a strong smell of oily tobacco that clued you in that you were about to smoke a heavy hitter. None of that is present in the new version. Just a light Erinmore-like scent.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
The new, STG Irish Flake is one of my favorites. I smoke either that or Stirling Flake (K&K's Irish Flake recipe under a different name) at least once a day, about a tin a month. I wonder if @Country Bladesmith might be confusing it with University Flake, which does indeed have a fruity topping and zero cojones, unlike Irish Flake. The STG version of IF is a slightly thinner flake, and the DFK is slightly less pronounced than in Stirling, which also has a somewhat thicker mouth feel. To me, they're pretty much interchangeable. I don't notice much difference in nicotine content. I smoke them in the morning on an empty stomach. It's usually my second pipe of the day, and both blends turn the crank just fine. That's not a boast, but a sad admission of just how zonked out I am in the morning.

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
I am a third of the way through my first tin of this. I also get a hint of that Erinmore flavour. Lately I have been trying to grasp those dark fired Kentucky notes between different blends. Thought it was going to be strong on nicotine but so far haven’t really noticed it but that’s just me I guess. I had a friend if mine smell the tin note who doesn’t smoke and he said plums straight away.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
The new, STG Irish Flake is one of my favorites. I smoke either that or Stirling Flake (K&K's Irish Flake recipe under a different name) at least once a day, about a tin a month. I wonder if @Country Bladesmith might be confusing it with University Flake, which does indeed have a fruity topping and zero cojones, unlike Irish Flake. The STG version of IF is a slightly thinner flake, and the DFK is slightly less pronounced than in Stirling, which also has a somewhat thicker mouth feel. To me, they're pretty much interchangeable. I don't notice much difference in nicotine content. I smoke them in the morning on an empty stomach. It's usually my second pipe of the day, and both blends turn the crank just fine. That's not a boast, but a sad admission of just how zonked out I am in the morning.
No, it’s definitely Irish Flake. Unless they slipped up at the factory and put the wrong label on the tin. ? The new doesn’t have the same DFK presence, and there is a subtle topping that wasn’t there before. It’s very subtle, but smell a freshly popped tin. You’ll definitely smell something similar to Erinmore.

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
Yes, the old Irish Flake was a great blend. It’s no longer the same since STG started producing it. I’ve heard that Rattray Stirling Flake is the same as the old Irish Flake though.

Same with one of my regulars, University Flake. Wallace Flake is supposed to be like the original version. After trying both, I noticed a slight difference (a bit more topping on the U. Flake) but both are winners in my book.

I like Irish Flake too...time for the Pepsi Challenge with that and Sterling Flake.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm drying out another flake in a bowl to avoid the clogging experience again, but I'm looking forward to bowl two. I don't often like a blend this well on the first bowl. It usually takes a little learning to fully enjoy a blend, but this one pleased me right off. With that strength, I expected it to get a little overbearing as the bowl went on, but it did not. It was just fullness and heartiness.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Irish Flake is one of my staples. I've heard the newer version is a little different, but I'm still smoking old (10 years+) tins I put away years ago, so I can't say. I've had Stirling Flake, but I can't say I noticed any difference between it and the old Irish Flake. You could switch the tins on me, and I wouldn't notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.