PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
I'm thinking about buying this pipe and wanted some opinions.

I like Bulldogs, and like the looks of the Army Mount, so does anyone have this pipe, and if so what are your thoughts?

If you have another shape of the Irish Army, your thoughts are welcome too.

If you just want to comment on this shape, or any of the other Irish Army shapes, your comments are also welcome.

I received a settlement from T-Mobile and thought a new pipe on them would be cool rotf:sher:.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Bulldogs aren’t my favorite as I like a deeper bowl, but I own a Christmas edition that smokes great, and I’m happy w/all of my Pets. The 80s is a bent version, which I would have preferred. As far as the Army/Military Mount… they’re pretty durable and unaffected by varying temperatures. So you can break the pipe down when hot. If you like the shape and size, then go for it. Waiting to hear the T-Mobile story?

Reactions: ksman75

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The 80S is the classic Peterson bulldog (bent version of the 150).
The only only issue I see is they don't offer the Irish Made Army with the required P-lip. So, If you like the shape, and don't mind a fish tale button, go for it.

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
Bulldogs aren’t my favorite as I like a deeper bowl, but I own a Christmas edition that smokes great, and I’m happy w/all of my Pets. The 80s is a bent version, which I would have preferred. As far as the Army/Military Mount… they’re pretty durable and unaffected by varying temperatures. So you can break the pipe down when hot. If you like the shape and size, then go for it. Waiting to hear the T-Mobile story?
I prefer the smaller bowl size, and like the bulldog shape, so together, they're the perfect match. I was considering a churchwarden, but just can't bring myself to get one...yet.

I saw the Army mounts a while back, and remembering that, though this would be the perfect opportunity.

As for t-mobile, there have been lawsuits dating back before 2014 regarding questionable third party billing.

From the FTC website, and also in the letter accompanying the check...

The FTC is mailing a second round of refund checks to T-Mobile customers who had third-party charges added to their mobile phone bills. These refunds are the result of a 2014 settlement with T-Mobile.

The first round of checks mailed in February 2017. Because the FTC recovered additional funds from several third-party crammers, the FTC is mailing 164,440 additional checks totaling more than $9.6 million.

So, when the check came today, I shifted gears from TAD to PAD, lol.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I never was that big on Peterson pipes, having had problems with the two I have. I went out on a limb last year and purchased a Peterson Irish Army Mount 106 which is a straight billiard. It actually turned into one of my best smoking pipes. I'm considering buying the bent billiard #69, but I'll wait until Christmas. You can't go wrong buying any of the army mounts, so go ahead pull the trigger, you won't regret it.

Reactions: OzPiper and ksman75

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I bought an Irish Harp 80s but sold it when I got a Short 80s. Both had fish-tail stems, which I prefer.
I didn't like the shank/stem to bowl proportion of the Irish Harp 80s. To my eye, it looked like a bulldog-dachshund cross ;)

I like the look of the Irish Army 80s though.

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
The 80S is the classic Peterson bulldog (bent version of the 150).
The only only issue I see is they don't offer the Irish Made Army with the required P-lip. So, If you like the shape, and don't mind a fish tale button, go for it.
I looked at the 150, but I prefer the shallower bowl of the 80s. I also already have a straight Stanwell bulldog, so getting the bent seems like the logical progression of my minuscule but growing pipe collection. The 80s not having the P-Lip bit isn't a big deal for me so this seems to fit all I want in basically a freebie pipe.

Reactions: OzPiper

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I’m not a huge fan of the Bulldog shape, but I have several in my collection. I like the way they fit in my hand.

I have one Pete 80s… which I have yet to smoke.

D2-ED5-D00-4437-4066-9-AA8-31-D156-F2-B259.jpg

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
Another option is the 408 which Peterson discribes borrowing from a Prince, Author, and Apple shape. Being a Author shape fan, I have been pleased with the large bowl and "army mount".
View attachment 89876
I'm actually going for the smaller bowl size like the 80s, preferring a 45 minute smoke to over an hour plus with my other pipes. One of my favorite pipes is my MM Morgan. Its gives me a 30 to 50 minute smoke, just right for me.
1627395176018.png

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
  • Love
Reactions: Latakia Dave

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Sebastopol, CA
Another option is the 408 which Peterson discribes borrowing from a Prince, Author, and Apple shape. Being a Author shape fan, I have been pleased with the large bowl and "army mount".
View attachment 89876
My 408 is still relatively new (a month or so now) and I'm enjoying the heck out of it; it has smoked well from the start, and I love the fit in my hand. The bowl size is about right (if I want a longer smoke, I also bought a House pipe at the same time). So buying one has my vote.

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
My 408 is still relatively new (a month or so now) and I'm enjoying the heck out of it; it has smoked well from the start, and I love the fit in my hand. The bowl size is about right (if I want a longer smoke, I also bought a House pipe at the same time). So buying one has my vote.
Like so many other things in life, I can't explain why I like one thing over another, but I've always been drawn to the bulldog shape. Somewhere, in a box long forgotten, I have the first one I ever bought, but I'll be damned if I can find it.

I have one other in my current seven pipe collection, so this will be my eighth pipe and my second bulldog.

I do prefer the smaller bowls, for the shorter smoke but I have two with larger bowls that give me a lot longer smoke if I'm in the mood.

I am and have always been an early riser, usually waking between 5 and 6 in the morning, and rarely being able to stay up past 10 at night, so early morning is when I get my best smoke. Living in a rental and having to go outside to smoke makes it even worse.

With summer temps over 100° and high winds, I rarely get an evening smoke and with winter soon approaching and temps dropping into the mid to high 20s, I don't know how that's going to play out. I really feel I'm going to enjoy this pipe, unless it turns out to be a lemon, and I don't see that being a problem.

My biggest concern now, is which blend to I want to break it in with. I'm still playing the field with different tobaccos and blends, but recently tried some Newminster No 403 Superior Round Slices and it's been the first non aro I can say I really like. Must be the dark-fired Kentucky. I haven't tried it before, and it just left a good taste in my mouth, and warm fuzzy, if you know what I mean puffy. So even that's (almost) a done deal!

Reactions: OzPiper