Peterson Dark Flake

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

.
.

anotherbob

Preferred Member
sadly they don't send tobacco out of the U.K. which would be one advantage to the old British Empire. Yeah that whole revolution thing might not have been as well thought out as us colonists thought (I joke of course, but I've heard people make arguments about that stupid before in all seriousness)
 

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

.
.

smudgersmissingleg

Preferred Member
Jun 9, 2018
1,310
3,647
England
sadly they don't send tobacco out of the U.K. which would be one advantage to the old British Empire. Yeah that whole revolution thing might not have been as well thought out as us colonists thought (I joke of course, but I've heard people make arguments about that stupid before in all seriousness)
I wouldn't worry about it Bob, I'm sure both these tobaccos will be available in the States in next to no time.
We do have 1 or 2 tobaccos that aren't available in the US (or are hard to find), Germain's comes to mind, but overall there's no comparison, the US wins hands down.
America has a FAR greater range to choose from. From the Cornell and Diehl line (none of which are available over here💔😭) to myriad other different makes and blends, the US 'wins' hands down. Then there the price difference, you seem to pay about 30-50% less than we do for the same tobacco blend.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a woe is me post, I realise we have it a lot better in the UK than many other countries. We have a couple of amazing blending houses in Gawith and Germains, and our prices aren't too bad when compared to some (Australia comes to mind😲).
Overall though I think America is the place to be when it comes to pipe tobacco.
 

anotherbob

Preferred Member
I wouldn't worry about it Bob, I'm sure both these tobaccos will be available in the States in next to no time.
We do have 1 or 2 tobaccos that aren't available in the US (or are hard to find), Germain's comes to mind, but overall there's no comparison, the US wins hands down.
America has a FAR greater range to choose from. From the Cornell and Diehl line (none of which are available over here💔😭) to myriad other different makes and blends, the US 'wins' hands down. Then there the price difference, you seem to pay about 30-50% less than we do for the same tobacco blend.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a woe is me post, I realise we have it a lot better in the UK than many other countries. We have a couple of amazing blending houses in Gawith and Germains, and our prices aren't too bad when compared to some (Australia comes to mind😲).
Overall though I think America is the place to be when it comes to pipe tobacco.
it's better too then when it was a few lane and a couple tins.
 

smudgersmissingleg

Preferred Member
Jun 9, 2018
1,310
3,647
England
GQ have just got in the Peterson Summertime tobacco as well, It's a blackcurrant and apple aromatic.
I've had blackcurrant aros before that I enjoyed but the only apple flavoured tobacco I've had is the Gawith brown twist, which is very lightly flavoured.
Anyway it sounds nice.
 
  • Like
Reactions: BROBS

mingc

Preferred Member
Jun 20, 2019
807
1,657
Portland, Oregon
sadly they don't send tobacco out of the U.K. which would be one advantage to the old British Empire. Yeah that whole revolution thing might not have been as well thought out as us colonists thought (I joke of course, but I've heard people make arguments about that stupid before in all seriousness)
Well, they don't ship to the rest of the former Empire either, so no real advantage there!
 

marconi

Member
May 17, 2019
100
220
England
I wouldn't worry about it Bob, I'm sure both these tobaccos will be available in the States in next to no time.
We do have 1 or 2 tobaccos that aren't available in the US (or are hard to find), Germain's comes to mind, but overall there's no comparison, the US wins hands down.
America has a FAR greater range to choose from. From the Cornell and Diehl line (none of which are available over here💔😭) to myriad other different makes and blends, the US 'wins' hands down. Then there the price difference, you seem to pay about 30-50% less than we do for the same tobacco blend.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a woe is me post, I realise we have it a lot better in the UK than many other countries. We have a couple of amazing blending houses in Gawith and Germains, and our prices aren't too bad when compared to some (Australia comes to mind😲).
Overall though I think America is the place to be when it comes to pipe tobacco.
I agree Smudger the US wins hands down on price,and selection all the PS.Comoy,Macbaren bulk blends made in Denmark are not available in Europe.Same with Balkan Sasieni.The good thing at the moment though is that you can order 6oz of tobacco from SP with a supersaver postage rate of $4
 

smudgersmissingleg

Preferred Member
Jun 9, 2018
1,310
3,647
England
I agree Smudger the US wins hands down on price,and selection all the PS.Comoy,Macbaren bulk blends made in Denmark are not available in Europe.Same with Balkan Sasieni.The good thing at the moment though is that you can order 6oz of tobacco from SP with a supersaver postage rate of $4
I've ordered from SP many times but never used supersaver, every time I have ordered from them I've been hit by large income & duty taxes which pushes the price up a lot😩.
 

marconi

Member
May 17, 2019
100
220
England
Peterson Dark Flake and Peterson Special Reserve 2020 are now available at GQ Tobaccos👍.
I've ordered from SP many times but never used supersaver, every time I have ordered from them I've been hit by large income & duty taxes which pushes the price up a lot😩.
I've ordered from SP many times but never used supersaver, every time I have ordered from them I've been hit by large income & duty taxes which pushes the price up a lot😩.
In the past I have been hit hard as well:cry::cry:,so I went over to cup of joes but their postage rates have gone up quite a lot.Recently i went back to SP new strategy make small orders under $25 using supersaver.I have had about 80% success rate.On the other 20% I will pay the charge if it is reasonable.If it bears no relation to the amount in the order I won't pay and the order is sent back to SP.I have been told by SP that they will refund and put on account the cost minus postage.Its all a gamble! My default position is use Estervals for unavailable European blends like HU etc I have a 100% success rate with them. :) 👍
 

smudgersmissingleg

Preferred Member
Jun 9, 2018
1,310
3,647
England
In the past I have been hit hard as well:cry::cry:,so I went over to cup of joes but their postage rates have gone up quite a lot.Recently i went back to SP new strategy make small orders under $25 using supersaver.I have had about 80% success rate.On the other 20% I will pay the charge if it is reasonable.If it bears no relation to the amount in the order I won't pay and the order is sent back to SP.I have been told by SP that they will refund and put on account the cost minus postage.Its all a gamble! My default position is use Estervals for unavailable European blends like HU etc I have a 100% success rate with them. :) 👍
Yeah some of those Customs & Excise taxes can be eye watering!😦
I've never used Estervals but I have used a few other German shops with great success😊.
 
  • Like
Reactions: BROBS and danimalia

geopiper

Member
Jan 9, 2019
154
74
Come on already, get this blend across the pond. Since seeing this post back in May, I've been looking forward to the SP.com update twice a week in anticipation of seeing notification this blend available in the US. It's getting close to three months since this May 11th post. I figured that with the association of SP.com and Peterson this blend would be available in the US already.
 
  • Like
Reactions: BROBS

Casual

Preferred Member
Oct 3, 2019
1,303
3,926
NL, CA
I figured that with the association of SP.com and Peterson this blend would be available in the US already.
SP is related to Peterson the pipe business. They are both unrelated to Peterson the tobacco brand.

I’m also interested in trying dark flake.
 
  • Like
Reactions: BROBS

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

.
.