PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

klause

Afternoon, All.
Has anyone come across a Peterson like this before?
s-l16002.jpg

It's 'Made in Ireland', so pre-republic. I have a rubbling in the tummy that says the stem is not quite right!
So, if anyone has a picture of one of these, can you post it, please, so I can compare stems?
Thanks.

K

klause

Thanks, Wes - yep! I reckon so. I've been searching around and come up with zero.
Nice to think it's a bit unusual, but also a little disappointing not to get something, somewhere, about it.
Oh! Well!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
What does the button look like? (Is it orific?) And does the shape of the "P" tell you anything about the age?

K

klause

Don't have it in hand yet, but, looking at the tip of the stem it doesn't look like any orifics' I have - they're usually more rounded on the stem/bowl side.
Hope to have it in a few days, so will learn more.
Just never seen this shape Pete' before............

K

klause

Thanks, Chris.
Next time I head up to town for a day, I might just pop in - the gents there are always welcoming, and good for a good chat.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have also never seen this Peterson shape. It probably did come with a P-lip stem,but looks in great shape.

I'd contact Mark Irwin thru his blog, he's always a wealth of information on the brand and oddities (he is usually tickled to see them as well).

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I'm gonna guess (based solely on that one pic) the stem is original, just not elegantly done.
For the most part, pipe stems were seen as expendable things like shoe soles until fairly recently, so little artistry was expended on them.
What a lovely pipe that COULD be, though, eh?

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Peterson did indeed make cutty shape like this in briar (see the 1911 Patent catalog).
I watched this auction and from the limited photos the stem looked to be a replacement to my eye. It would have been available in P-lip or fishtail.
Very nice add to your collection, please post detailed photos when you get it in hand!

K

klause

Al, I'll drop Mark an email a little later, as I'd be interested in anything he may know. I'll just wait for a more civilised hour, and the coffee to kick in.
George, I keep looking at the picture and every time I do, my mind changes - one moment I'm thinking, yep, could be original, but with an awful home-done bend - other times I'm thinking, should be a short p-lip (one of those lovely old, elegant, well done ones - the kind Petersons haven't done in a very long time). I'm afraid that in my hands, it will only get a gentle clean (unless you're prepared to work your magic on it ;-)).
Jpm, I may very well overlook the stem issue, if indeed it is an issue, and just get on with it - sometimes the pragmatic approach is the best, and financially more viable, approach!!
Rblood, that's good to know, thank you. I'll have to find a copy of that catalogue somewhere. I'm delighted you were only watching and didn't join in the bidding - I actually expected it to go crazy in the last few minutes, but in the end I was amazed, and pleased, at what I ended up paying.

K

klause

I have it in hand.
George, you were right - it is the original stem. It has a screw fit bone tenon, and it is all perfect.
The COM is 'Made in Ireland' in the circle format, so early to mid 40's. This I find a little surprising, as I expected it to be a bit older - it's a strange time frame for a shape like this.
The 'Petersons Of Dublin' is in the arch format, with the P being the old forked format.
It's very small - the kind of thing usually refered to as a ladies pipe.
The condition is super, with some minor rim darkening, though it has been reamed slightly out of round sometime in the past.
It'll clean up nicely!

K

klause

Al,thats brilliant, thanks. The only problem with that catalogue is that i now want some of those beauties. I've never seen one of the systems with the heel - I'd say they are as rare as hen's teeth.
I'm chatting to Mark, as you suggested, so we'll see where this goes.
Thanks again - much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.