PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
For the fellow Pete Geeks and anyone else who enjoys the Peterson tobacco blends; Pipes & Cigars has a 20% off sale on Peterson tins right now.

I don't normally shop with them but @ $8.40/tin for University Flake, Irish Flake & 3P is tough to pass up. EMP, Standard Mix & 965 are on sale for $9.66/tin. It's a great price to bulk up your cellar!

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
What are the thinktank's opinions on University Flake versus Irish Flake?
I smoke both regularly and keep quite a bit of them stockpiled.

Irish Flake contains Burley, Virginia & Dark Fired Kentucky. I think about 33% of each. It is bold in flavor and very strong with nicotine. I have learned on more than one occasion to treat that blend with respect. Generally smokes well, folded or rubbed out. It's damn good.

University Flake contains Burley & Virginia. I'm not quite sure of the ratio, but it is a bit mellower than Irish Flake and usually a tad bit moister out of the tin. You could smoke it all day. It has a pleasant plum/fig sweetness which accompany the nuttiness of the burley. Doesn't burn as well as Irish Flake, but if you dry it properly, it requires minimal relighting. Probably my favorite of all the Peterson blends and easily a top 10 tobacco for me.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Can’t speak to the new manufacturer, but pre change over was excellent. I would go for it?
I can say that the changeover from Dunhill to Peterson was nil for most of the blends. Same manufacturer, different name on the label. I've smoke them all.

In fact, I forgot what episode it was, but I got together with Mike from the Pipe&Tamper podcast once and we did a direct comparison between several of the Dunhill/Peterson blends.

JAWz

Lurker
Apr 16, 2022
California (San Joaquin County)
I can say that the changeover from Dunhill to Peterson was nil for most of the blends. Same manufacturer, different name on the label. I've smoke them all.
I was just looking for information on the differences between Dunhill and Peterson tinned tobaccos. They say on the tin they are the original recipe. But I was not sure if they passed the smoke and taste test.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I was just looking for information on the differences between Dunhill and Peterson tinned tobaccos. They say on the tin they are the original recipe. But I was not sure if they passed the smoke and taste test.
They are made in the same facility, by the same people, using the same component tobaccos and tins as they were prior to the change. STG never stopped production, they just printed new labels.

Reactions: JAWz

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I've smoked both over the years and have not noticed any real difference.

Reactions: JAWz

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's a good sale. I really like 3-P and Irish Flake, though I have some on hand.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Moderator please close thread. Sale is over.
While I don't doubt the sale ended, it looks like P&C is running the 20% of Peterson tobacco again. Although my eyes have deceived me before.

Btw thanks for the info on Irish Flake and University Flake. I enjoy them both, but have to give the nod to University Flake. It's now a favorite and will be in regular rotation.

I also picked up 3P's, but haven't tried it yet. Just dipped into a Cascadia plug (Deep Water) and the jury is still out.

P&C is also running a great deal on Best of the Rest for less than $1 an ounce and Lane Limited for less than $2 an ounce for those interested.