PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
I have just had my second bowl of this. I heard it was similar to Maltese Falcon which I enjoy and wanted to try it out.
To me it is pleasant and sweet even compared to the aeros that I am most familiar with.

Do you find this blend sweet?

I'm enjoying it so far but admit my time with English blends are few. I do get some sweet flavor from Westminster but more noticeable lat there.

Just wanted to hear from you more seasoned English smokers here. Maybe there are some good recommendations for my list.

Cotton1

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
MM 965 is a classic. Yes it’s sweet, creamy and smoky and with a tin note you don’t soon forget. A surprisingly mild smoking, flavorful blend and with a decent nic content. For many, it’s even an all day smoke; but I can’t count myself among them. It’s a “treat” blend for me. Have you ever tried HH Old Dark Fired? Another very memorable blend that MacBaren hit out of the park and must be tried! These blends are excellent. But I can’t personally smoke them often.

I’ll do my best to draw an analogy with scotch. The first time you sip and savor a peat monster like Laphroaig or Laguvalin, you’ll swear you’ve died and gone to heaven. Then, you realize that you can’t drink these all the time. Just too richly flavored. That’s how I feel about 965 and most any Latakia forward blend. But that’s just me. I like a smooth, tasty, mild Burley as my every day.

965 just might become your all time favorite. It is for many. I just like to visit it from time to time. Still have some of the Dunhill.

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
MM 965 is a classic. Yes it’s sweet, creamy and smoky and with a tin note you don’t soon forget. A surprisingly mild smoking, flavorful blend and with a decent nic content. For many, it’s even an all day smoke; but I can’t count myself among them. It’s a “treat” blend for me. Have you ever tried HH Old Dark Fired? Another very memorable blend that MacBaren hit out of the park and must be tried! These blends are excellent. But I can’t personally smoke them often.

I’ll do my best to draw an analogy with scotch. The first time you sip and savor a peat monster like Laphroaig or Laguvalin, you’ll swear you’ve died and gone to heaven. Then, you realize that you can’t drink these all the time. Just too richly flavored. That’s how I feel about 965 and most any Latakia forward blend. But that’s just me. I like a smooth, tasty, mild Burley as my every day.

965 just might become your all time favorite. It is for many. I just like to visit it from time to time. Still have some of the Dunhill.

Oh great, now I wonder how the Dunhill compares to the Peterson!?

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
MM965 is a classic and I like it a lot. Me personally, I like Omega, Royal and Tashkent from LJ Peretti and it is cheaper. You also can buy it in bulk. These blends while not as sweet offer more complexity. I would also recommend Presbyterian which is on sale at Smokingpipes for less than $9 a tin right now.

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
MM965 is a classic and I like it a lot. Me personally, I like Omega, Royal and Tashkent from LJ Peretti and it is cheaper. You also can buy it in bulk. These blends while not as sweet offer more complexity. I would also recommend Presbyterian which is on sale at Smokingpipes for less than $9 a tin right now.
Your report is duly noted Sir!
Who makes the Presbyterian?

Reactions: danimalia

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
My only experience.with 965 was some bulk of the last Dunhill branded version. I mentioned in a previous thread that I preferred more Latakia-heavy blends at the time, so I didn't appreciate it as much as I might now. I'll have to revisit it.

If you like Maltese Falcon, I would highly recommend Blackpoint. I suspect the tobacco and proportions are similar to MF, and like the Falcon, I think it has a discreet enhancement flavoring that gives it a little subtle extra sweetness. It also has a bit of perique. I think both blends are outstanding, though MF is probably ranks a tick higher for me.

It's not that similar to those two, but Spark Plug might be my favorite Latakia blend at the moment. It definitely goes the full Balkan, so if you like those Oriental-forward Lat blends, it is worth a try. For more savory and dry tasting, Balkan style Latakia blends, I also like Kensington and Charing Cross from Pease. He really is a master of the leaf.

I'm surprised Embers didn't mention it here, but Balkan Supreme is also killer and a sensational value.

• Love
Reactions: JOHN72 and Cotton1

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
My only experience.with 965 was some bulk of the last Dunhill branded version. I mentioned in a previous thread that I preferred more Latakia-heavy blends at the time, so I didn't appreciate it as much as I might now. I'll have to revisit it.

If you like Maltese Falcon, I would highly recommend Blackpoint. I suspect the tobacco and proportions are similar to MF, and like the Falcon, I think it has a discreet enhancement flavoring that gives it a little subtle extra sweetness. It also has a bit of perique. I think both blends are outstanding, though MF is probably ranks a tick higher for me.

It's not that similar to those two, but Spark Plug might be my favorite Latakia blend at the moment. It definitely goes the full Balkan, so if you like those Oriental-forward Lat blends, it is worth a try. For more savory and dry tasting, Balkan style Latakia blends, I also like Kensington and Charing Cross from Pease. He really is a master of the leaf.

I'm surprised Embers didn't mention it here, but Balkan Supreme is also killer and a sensational value.
Excellent, thank you!

I don't know who makes the Blackpoint but I have already been tempted by Spark Plug.

My list is growing!

Reactions: danimalia

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Excellent, thank you!

I don't know who makes the Blackpoint but I have already been tempted by Spark Plug.

My list is growing!
Blackpoint is made by GL Pease too. I think it's one of the better Latakia+perique blends out there. Spark Plug is just a delight. It does have some sweetness to it, but it is more of a zesty and spicy blend, to my tastes. Highly recommended.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
To me, 965's sweetness is more a lack of edge or harshness on top of a full-flavored blend, but I would never take the Virginia as particularly sweet, and I would never suspect any non-tobacco flavoring. I believe I'm aging a tin, and I also will try the PC Match Mixture 20, newly named. 965 is a broadly successfully blend, both as a consumer success and for the blending artistry.

Reactions: magicpiper
Status
Not open for further replies.