PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Yesterday, I had a PADTAD attack and bought a Peterson System 317, among other things. I read some reviews that it is too small but it was too late because the item had already shipped by the time I called. Anybody here have this pipe?

Reactions: Stuartiebeaby
K

klause

Morning, Min.
I have a very battered and well used one. It's probably the pipe I smoke most. In fact it's currently sitting on the mantle, loaded with cube-cut Murray's Irish Slice - loaded it up last night on a whim, ready for the drive to work this morning (usually never smoke in the car, but phooey to that today).
It's the only pipe I clench - it's perfect for it, and so comfortable. It smokes everything brilliantly - flake, ribbon, Krumble, etc - it takes it all and makes it sublime. It might be small, but there's still a 45 min to 1 hr smoke.
I doubt you'll be disappointed. Enjoy it, it's a great, underrated, pipe.

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
I'm planning on getting one of those too, just waiting for an ebony one to come in stock. I demand pics when you get it!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Morning.
I just picked up an estate 317 in a small lot of pipes and a pipe bag. Mine has an old nickel cap on the shank and is a military mount. I'm not sure if this is standard for the 317 or not. I'll post pics once I get the little thing cleaned up.
I look forward to hearing how you enjoy your new pipe.
-- Pat

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Cheers Klause.
The person I bought the pipe from was convinced that the band was sterling silver, and that I was trying to gouge them in negotiations. Thank goodness for smart phones. We had a little impromptu training session on silver hallmarking, and pipes in general, and they realized that they weren't sitting on a $1200 pipe.
Hilarious.
-- Pat

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
Congrats on the 317 min! I just got my first Pete in the mail yesterday (a 309 system) and it ended up being smaller than I expected. I still think it will be a great pipe for me because I like to clench, and this pipe seems to hang just right. So even though your 317 might be smaller than you wanted, you may find yourself going to it more just because of the ergonomics of it. Post a pic of you smoking it when you get a chance!
pat, that is a great story and a great example of being a prepared and informed buyer!

Jan 8, 2013
Enjoy your new Pete! I wouldn't worry about size too much. I have a few different sizes in my collection, from small to massive. They're great all in their own right. Sometimes you want to just relax and smoke a smaller bowl or you're trying something new and don't know if you want a bowl that will last forever. And then sometimes you want a medium sized bowl to smoke while you watch a favorite tv show or read for a bit. Sometimes you want a big bowl of something you know you enjoy while you watch a good movie, or read a bit longer lol. They all have their purpose. A smaller bowl might make a good tester pipe :) I only have two Petes, both XL90 shapes and I love them! Their not massive, but they are pretty good sized pipes. To me, they're the perfect shape and size and I plan on purchasing more in the future when funds permit.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
I have two 317s and a 313 with the peterson system. I bought them in the early 80's. They have been my goto pipes they are great to clench and sip your favorite tobacco. These three have a small bowl. I also have a 395 and a meer with larger bowls. All of them are good smokes.
John

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
congrats on the new pipe.
have an ebony 312 (a bit larger than the 317) and it is a fine smoker...as far as size, my smaller pipes continue to deliver some of my better smokes.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
I have a 317 and while it does have a smaller than "standard" bowl, it smokes very well. I use it for times when I want a shorter smoke and I don't have time for a larger bowl. :puffy:

apiperisdown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2014
Congrats on the new Peterson 317 @minsfarshaw. I fell ill to the PAD myself recently and bought my first Peterson, a B42 Darwin. Please let us know how you like the 317.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
I un boxed and am smoking the 317 as I type this. I like it a lot. I don't even have to think about clenching it. And I never clench. I did get some gurgling but it went away without me having to use a pipe cleaner. I'm currently smoking OGS. I don't know how post a pic plus I look like hell right now after a 12 hour shift. I promise to try on Monday. This is a cool pipe. I'm glad I wasnt able to change the order. I gotta try not to ignore my other pipes.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
I'm looking at getting a 303. I'm quite fond of Peterson System pipes, myself!

K

klause

Min, glad you like it and that it's working out for you.......I can see more Pete's in your future....;-)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Small is not bad. fishnbanjo prompted me to buy several small pipes, noting that in his rather fabulous collection,

he has many pipes in the Group 1 and 2 range. I had always thought of small pipes as souvenirs, toys, or novelties.

Then I bought a Peterson Belgique, an Ewa churchwarden, and an Old Dominion Cheasapeake. Great for short smokes,

longer smokes with flake, appetizer or dessert smokes around larger bowled pipes, sampling, extra strong tobaccos,

clenching, etc. I also have some extra large bowl pipes. They all have a place. You'll like your small bowl pipes.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
For those who don't mind a P-Lip stem GQ Tobaccos has a new 317 smooth listed at the stupid low price of $67.04. Price is so low it almost makes me think it's a mistake.

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
Thanks for the headsup Darwin. I just ordered from GQ.
As for the 303, it was the first Peterson I purchased (as opposed to inherited from my granddad) a couple of years ago, and to this day its still my favourite pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.