PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
Does anyone here know where I can find one for the least coin? I've never had a peterson or anything but basket pipes or grabows (other than a fine Uncle Arthur CW) and I want to get a good full bent briar. The 303 looks great and I remember hearing good things about it. So where can I get one cheap, new or used? Also I'm open to buying one from a member here as well.

Thanks folks!

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Keep an eye out for estates -- good deals. Even with the exchange rate as it is, you can get good deals from dear old England, as marc mentioned.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
where can I get one cheap

I'm not sure what you mean by cheap. Here are a few options:
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pestsysm303p.html
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=88400

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=82061

macnutz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2011
I have a 303 and I love it although it is a small bowl. Great for flakes or quick dog walking smokes.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I have an XL315 that has a nice, large bowl. Got in on the eBay, which is worth a look.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
FWIW Nathanial, the 03 shape is essentially the same pipe, just not a System pipe.

That said, an 03 in the say, Shannon or Donegal lines, is around $20 less, new, than a 303 System.
As for bowl size, I dunno, I regularly get 45 minutes to a bit over an hour in my Donegal 03.

Sippin', just a sippin' (-:

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
I wish Peterson would start making bigger bowl pipes one of these days.
The system 302 is the same shape but in their large/extra large size. I have one new, unsmoked I am thinking about selling. It is in their rusticated finish with a fishtail stem.

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
Thanks everyone! There's a lot of good suggestions here for me to research! I'll let y'all know what

I settle on. Thanks!! :puffy:

drsam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2011
I happen to have a Peterson 301 and a 306 that are currently being restored ey Dave at Walker Briar Works.

I intend to put them on ebay. if anyone is interested give me a msg.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I thought we all had a 303. It is such a common pipe. :lol:
Actually, I hardly ever smoke it, so if anyone inside the EU wants to trade me for it I would be game:
4155247792_187614ebb5.jpg

4154498507_d6fc969eed.jpg

I really like Stanwells...

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
So I was able to snag a 303 off of ebay for 27 bucks! It came in yesterday and was pretty caked up. Weird thing is, it had huge chunks of cake on the rim. :crazy: How did someone do that!?
Anyway, it is sandblasted and has a little dent in the ferrule opposite the K&P logo, but whatever, I spent at least $50 less! I spent 2 hrs cleaning it and smoked 2 bowls of CH in it between last night and today. It smokes wonderfully. According to some dating guides I found, it was made between 1941 and 1969.
I really like it and think it will be a favorite, though I will have to get a smooth grain one in the future and without the P-lip (I found I'm not a big fan, though it might grow on me). But for a test try on a great classic, I think $27 was a good run.
Thanks everyone for all the help! As always, it is much appreciated! :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.