PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Masterblaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2021
Evans, GA
Maybe I missed the thread but I've seen no action on this forum about this years Peterson POY.

I'm really excited! I love my Petes and I'm hoping to score the sandblast come Monday!

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Maybe I missed the thread but I've seen no action on this forum about this years Peterson POY.

I'm really excited! I love my Petes and I'm hoping to score the sandblast come Monday!
I think they're dropping on SPC on Wednesday the 17th.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
I would be very tempted, but this looks like another p-lip special, so my money will stay home .

Im torn on the p-lip style pipes.

if I’m using it for English blends, I don’t find that I have much issue. However, I’ll be damned if try and smoke a VA or VaPer blend with those cause they’ll burn the roof of my mouth so bad.

I’ve been smoking a pipe good on 12 years now, and I rarely get bitten, but the P-lips will light me up on most anything but English blends.

I only have 2 Pete’s with them, and I rarely choose them unless I know I’ll be drinking more than usual. (Party and whatnot)

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
The first truly high quality, large pipe I ever bought was this huge WDC reservoir system type pipe in 1978 from a basket of laundry detergent soaked pipes in a gas station near Wichita Kansas for five bucks. It took a long time to smoke the soap out of it.

The new gas station owner had bought the place from the widow of a pipe smoker. The dead pipe smoker had ran the gas station since the end of WW2 and he’d required his employees to put on fresh laundered uniforms every day.

The fellow died in an accident, and his wife must have put a box containing all his really nice pipes under a shelf where she kept the laundry soap, because when she sold out the new owner I inherited a lot of soapy pipes, to sell for $5.

My girlfriend at the time, had a Daddy who owned a dozen banks. She offered to buy me the entire basket, but I’ve always had too much pride for my own good.:)

2EC952B1-39AE-4674-984C-397B5DAC44D0.jpegShe bought me the little Peterson years later for Christmas, as my wife.

If only money, could buy back love, you know?

Back in 1978 she’d gladly gone with me to tour the Kansas State Capitol, even stopped by at Lawrence to see where Jim Lane almost got his just deserts, the damned murdering, plundering Jayhawker.:)

Mark Twain remains Missouri’s most beloved author. I still read Huckleberry Finn every so often and laugh as much today as when my old grandmother Myrtle Cahow “Ma” Agee would have me read for her as a child.

I reckon iff’n ole Mark Twain smoked a Peterson, we’uns oughter make double sure the compney whut makes em stays in bidness and buy one, you know?

Peter Peachfuzz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2019
Central Ohio
My guess is many will be allotted to friends and relatives. Some buying multiples to flip or hoard. I tried several years as the starting gun went off and couldn't connect.

OldWill

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
The first truly high quality, large pipe I ever bought was this huge WDC reservoir system type pipe in 1978 from a basket of laundry detergent soaked pipes in a gas station near Wichita Kansas for five bucks. It took a long time to smoke the soap out of it.

The new gas station owner had bought the place from the widow of a pipe smoker. The dead pipe smoker had ran the gas station since the end of WW2 and he’d required his employees to put on fresh laundered uniforms every day.

The fellow died in an accident, and his wife must have put a box containing all his really nice pipes under a shelf where she kept the laundry soap, because when she sold out the new owner I inherited a lot of soapy pipes, to sell for $5.

My girlfriend at the time, had a Daddy who owned a dozen banks. She offered to buy me the entire basket, but I’ve always had too much pride for my own good.:)

View attachment 162239She bought me the little Peterson years later for Christmas, as my wife.

If only money, could buy back love, you know?

Back in 1978 she’d gladly gone with me to tour the Kansas State Capitol, even stopped by at Lawrence to see where Jim Lane almost got his just deserts, the damned murdering, plundering Jayhawker.:)

Mark Twain remains Missouri’s most beloved author. I still read Huckleberry Finn every so often and laugh as much today as when my old grandmother Myrtle Cahow “Ma” Agee would have me read for her as a child.

I reckon iff’n ole Mark Twain smoked a Peterson, we’uns oughter make double sure the compney whut makes em stays in bidness and buy one, you know?
Sam Clemens is my countryman, too. I come from near Arrow Rock where they shot the musical version of Tom Sawyer in the 1970s, much to the chagrin of Hannibal, MO, which was deemed too modern for the movie set. My late Dad had a bit part in it. By the way, I also love Petes.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Sam Clemens is my countryman, too. I come from near Arrow Rock where they shot the musical version of Tom Sawyer in the 1970s, much to the chagrin of Hannibal, MO, which was deemed too modern for the movie set. My late Dad had a bit part in it. By the way, I also love Petes.
Arrow Rich is a rare treasure, a town time forgot, former home of George Caleb Bingham.

Per capita Missouri has more state parks than any other state, behind only California and New York in raw numbers, and it’s thanks to a tiny sales tax we’ve had over forty years now.

What would grieve “Ma” Agee, who wrote for sixty years as Missouri’s most beloved hillbilly humorist author in The Index, is we rank dead last in schoolteacher pay.

My grandmother regularly hosted people like Vance Randolph at her home in Hermitage.

I was a kid when we drove Ma Agee to visit Arrow Rock. I have photos of it someplace.

George Caleb Bingham had a nearly new house in Jackson County. The Yankees imprisoned the innocent sisters, mothers, and wives of Quantrill’s partisan rangers there in Bingham’s house.

The Yankees opened up holes in the walls, undermining the structure, and when it collapsed the slaughter of the imprisoned women was horrible.

When news reached the rebel camp, they mounted up and headed out for Lawrence Kansas, to hang Jim Lane.

The retaliatory nature of the attack on Lawrence was confirmed by the survivors. According to Castel, "The universal testimony of all the ladies and others who talked with the butchers of the 21st ult. is that these demons claimed they were here to revenge the wrongs done their families by our men under Lane, Jennison, Anthony and Co."[6]Charles L. Robinson, the first Governor of Kansas and an eyewitness to the raid, also characterized the attack as an act of vengeance: "Before this raid the entire border counties of Missouri had experienced more terrible outrages than ever the Quantrill raid at Lawrence... There was no burning of feet and torture by hanging in Lawrence as there was in Missouri, neither were women and children outraged."[7] Robinson explained that Quantrill targeted Lawrence because Jayhawkers had attacked Missouri "as soon as war broke out" and Lawrence was "headquarters for the thieves and their plunder."[7]

—-

Missouri is brimming over with history.

Arrow Rock is one of almost a hundred state parks where it still comes alive.

• Love
Reactions: OldWill

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I really like Petersons but this stem design has never appealed to me so although I love the connection to Mark Twain, won’t be biting - still catching up on sleep lost getting another 4AB on the SP EU site in the wee hours last year!

Reactions: scloyd

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
What galls me is Mark Twain today is a victim of political correctness. Huckleberry Finn can’t be read in schools today.

His use of ****** Jim in Huckleberry Finn as the most noble and stainless character in a riotously funny novel written for both children and adults was directed entirely against the institution of slavery.

Samuel Clemons assisted U.S. Grant writing his memoirs that saved his family from poverty.

His near deification of Grant also helped raise the money for Grant’s Tomb.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grant's_Tomb

Mark Twain was for freedom, not slavery.

Without Jim, Huck is a runaway on a raft, on an odyssey to nowhere.

• Love
Reactions: TN Jed and edger

Piping Rooster

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2022
Champa Bay
What galls me is Mark Twain today is a victim of political correctness. Huckleberry Finn can’t be read in schools today.

His use of ****** Jim in Huckleberry Finn as the most noble and stainless character in a riotously funny novel written for both children and adults was directed entirely against the institution of slavery.

Samuel Clemons assisted U.S. Grant writing his memoirs that saved his family from poverty.

His near deification of Grant also helped raise the money for Grant’s Tomb.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grant's_Tomb

Mark Twain was for freedom, not slavery.

Without Jim, Huck is a runaway on a raft, on an odyssey to nowhere.
images.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jim was the only responsible adult in Huck's life, sitting his watch on the raft so Huck could sleep, being a growing boy, and so forth. Huck's towns people only wanted to whip him into line and make him more like them. Jim missed his own children so Huck was a surrogate. In later years, the "n" word became anathema, rightly so, but when Clemens wrote Huckleberry Finn, it was a commonplace, sadly. Twain was rubbing peoples' noses in it. People who take offense misunderstand the intent entirely, though it is hard to read.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
jim was the only responsible adult in Huck's life, sitting his watch on the raft so Huck could sleep, being a growing boy, and so forth. Huck's towns people only wanted to whip him into line and make him more like them. Jim missed his own children so Huck was a surrogate. In later years, the "n" word became anathema, rightly so, but when Clemens wrote Huckleberry Finn, it was a commonplace, sadly. Twain was rubbing peoples' noses in it. People who take offense misunderstand the intent entirely, though it is hard to read.
No other nation may revere Mark Twain more than India. They realize there what I’ve known all my life, that Clemons used Saturday Night Live satire to denounce a wide range of sins long before Mel Brooks and Blazing Saddles.

dspace.christcollegeijk.edu.in:8080/jspui/bitstream/123456789/1106/22/CCASAEGR29.pdf

Clemons was for social Justice.

The well meaning people with tender ears who promote “safe spaces” on college campuses should go work for the other side, where they’d be more appreciated.:)

Masterblaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2021
Evans, GA
Attractive enough. I am a huge Peterson fan. But have now fully embraced my dislike of smaller bowled pipes and those have a bowl capacity too small to pique my interest.
Well it is a little taller and a little narrower then my beloved 302 so should give me about a good 45 min smoke I would think!
Im torn on the p-lip style pipes.

if I’m using it for English blends, I don’t find that I have much issue. However, I’ll be damned if try and smoke a VA or VaPer blend with those cause they’ll burn the roof of my mouth so bad.

I’ve been smoking a pipe good on 12 years now, and I rarely get bitten, but the P-lips will light me up on most anything but English blends.

I only have 2 Pete’s with them, and I rarely choose them unless I know I’ll be drinking more than usual. (Party and whatnot)
I love the p-lipe but I used to get pretty bad bite on the roof of my mouth when I first got one, now I smoke the p-lips more then the fishtails and I have the opposite effect, my tongue gets a little irritated for the first few bowls even with English blends which is my primary smoke! If you're not smoking the p-lip regularly it makes sense to me that the roof of your mouth is getting lit up!
I really like Petersons but this stem design has never appealed to me so although I love the connection to Mark Twain, won’t be biting - still catching up on sleep lost getting another 4AB on the SP EU site in the wee hours last year!
I really like it! It seems to flow nicely with the lines of the bowl! Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder! puffy