PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
I’d love to trust that all the listing measurements are correct—especially when displaying decimal places to the 100th implies serious precision—but my own experience with weighing pipes received and observing measurements being repeated in listings has led me to view the listing measurements as general guidelines on a given pipe shape.

There is, however, no doubt in my mind that the listing photos are of the actual pipes, and I appreciate that immensely. It’s the main reason I buy almost all of my pipes from them.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
For the sake of verifying my own statements I just went and checked the listing measurements of all 37 of the remaining 2022 POYs.

Every single one of them listed a weight of 59.53g except a single outlier of 56.70g. Measured in grams to the 100th decimal place, that’s impossible. I’ve also measured over 40 of my own pipes I’ve bought from them and they almost never match the listed weight (sometimes very significantly different).

All of the remaining 37 POY listing dimensional measurements were random combinations of exactly the following measurements with no exceptions:

Bowl Height: 43.43 mm / 43.69 mm / 43.94 mm

Chamber Depth: 31.75 mm / 32.00 mm / 32.26 mm

Chamber Diameter: 19.56 mm

Outside Diameter: 37.08 mm / 37.34 mm / 37.59 mm

It’s as if they measured three pipes and then randomly assigned each listing measurement one of the values from those three sets.

The chamber diameter makes sense since the same drill bit would have been used in them all, but the rest of them matching a group of three measurement sets to the 100th decimal place in millimeters seems extraordinarily unlikely, and the fact that each measurement has exactly a set of three adds to the suspicion.
I do not want to get in the way of any conspiracy theory - never ends well on the screen! 😀

• Haha
Reactions: briarfoxx

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
I do not want to get in the way of any conspiracy theory - never ends well on the screen! 😀
Haha, it’s only a conspiracy theory if you can’t prove it! My order arrived so I measured them. I got a dark smooth and then also a rusticated after the initial frenzy ended.

I measured their chambers using a pipe cleaner and a ruler. Both have chamber depths of ~40mm and chamber diameters of ~19.5-20mm. Their respective website listings had read 34.80mm X 19.30mm and 32.00mm X 19.56mm. The listings’ depth measurements were pretty far off (8mm is a lot!). My measurements actually match what Peterson’s own website lists as their expected measurements, which is 40mm X 20mm.

The listed weights were also wrong. The actual weights were 67g and 65g versus their listed 62.37g and 59.53g respectively.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
Here’s my Dark Smooth:
062BE3DC-C6CF-4039-9B05-77EB83A8DDB3.jpeg

And here’s my Rusticated:
77444027-6D80-4C29-AC21-5B414F7DF511.jpeg

I also took photos of the POY 14B bowl next to my 20s and 11s for folk to reference.

Here’s my 20s next to the POY 14B. My 20s has a bowl depth of 32mm and the 14B is 40mm:
BF423A0B-1A7C-4C1D-A3C1-0D44B722EC7F.jpeg

And here’s my 11s next to the POY 14B. The 14B’s bowl was actually slightly deeper than this 11s but I also have a 312 (same shape as 11s) that has a bowl slightly deeper than the 14B, so I assume the 11s and 14B shapes are meant to be roughly the same bowl depth:
D49B02CB-8DE2-4254-801D-BAB97DA32D3E.jpeg

Last edited:

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Haha, it’s only a conspiracy theory if you can’t prove it! My order arrived so I measured them. I got a dark smooth and then also a rusticated after the initial frenzy ended.

I measured their chambers using a pipe cleaner and a ruler. Both have chamber depths of ~40mm and chamber diameters of ~19.5-20mm. Their respective website listings had read 34.80mm X 19.30mm and 32.00mm X 19.56mm. The listings’ depth measurements were pretty far off (8mm is a lot!). My measurements actually match what Peterson’s own website lists as their expected measurements, which is 40mm X 20mm.

The listed weights were also wrong. The actual weights were 67g and 65g versus their listed 62.37g and 59.53g respectively.
Not doubting you!

pipesandscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2010
Northeast PA
Question: I am taking my sandblast out for its maiden voyage now. Where I am not a 'Pete Geek,' I do enjoy my Petersons. Is the threaded metal part supposed to be a stinger? Is there something about it with this design that you are supposed to leave in? I haven't smoke a pipe with a stinger or a filter since I first started smoking a pipe in 1975. I have removed it. Helpful input is appreciated,

After wiping out the dreaded bowl coat, I fired up a bowl of Tidewater from The Country Squire. Sort of reminds me of a ribbon version of OGS.

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
Is the threaded metal part supposed to be a stinger? Is there something about it with this design that you are supposed to leave in?
Peterson calls that the condenser, but it is also referred to as the chimney or the tenon extension. That is definitely designed to be left in and is an extension of one of three patented and integral parts of the Peterson System (it extends the tapered army mount). The short version is it helps create condensate from water vapor in the smoke to keep the smoke drier (the condensate then falls into the system reservoir). It can also help block ash from getting in your mouth. You can find out everything you’ve ever wanted to know about it and then some in this article on it over at petersonpipenotes.org:

Last edited:

pipesandscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2010
Northeast PA
Peterson calls that the condenser, but it is also referred to as the chimney or the tenon extension. That is definitely designed to be left in and is an extension of one of three patented and integral parts of the Peterson System (it extends the tapered army mount). The short version is it helps create condensate from water vapor in the smoke to keep the smoke drier (the condensate then falls into the system reservoir). It can also help block ash from getting in your mouth. You can find out everything you’ve ever wanted to know about it and then some in this article on it over at petersonpipenotes.org:

Thank you very much!!

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
Sherlock Holmes?Lol...
For the sake of verifying my own statements I just went and checked the listing measurements of all 37 of the remaining 2022 POYs.

Every single one of them listed a weight of 59.53g except a single outlier of 56.70g. Measured in grams to the 100th decimal place, that’s impossible. I’ve also measured over 40 of my own pipes I’ve bought from them and they almost never match the listed weight (sometimes very significantly different).

All of the remaining 37 POY listing dimensional measurements were random combinations of exactly the following measurements with no exceptions:

Bowl Height: 43.43 mm / 43.69 mm / 43.94 mm

Chamber Depth: 31.75 mm / 32.00 mm / 32.26 mm

Chamber Diameter: 19.56 mm

Outside Diameter: 37.08 mm / 37.34 mm / 37.59 mm

It’s as if they measured three pipes and then randomly assigned each listing measurement one of the values from those three sets.

The chamber diameter makes sense since the same drill bit would have been used in them all, but the rest of them matching a group of three measurement sets to the 100th decimal place in millimeters seems extraordinarily unlikely, and the fact that each measurement has exactly a set of three adds to the suspicion.

• Haha

skaukatt

Can't Leave
I was just able to snag a sandblast version, looks prety good, has a decent enough blast character about it, arrived the other day. I was on before 6pm EDT and kept refreshing until they popped up but within what seemed like a few seconds, 4 Rua, couple of smooths and some selcted sandblasts, one that was in my cart, vanished! Well, good on those who got them, enjoy! I am happy with my sandblast #733/925.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Here’s my Dark Smooth:
View attachment 164252

And here’s my Rusticated:
View attachment 164253

I also took photos of the POY 14B bowl next to my 20s and 11s for folk to reference.

Here’s my 20s next to the POY 14B. My 20s has a bowl depth of 32mm and the 14B is 40mm:
View attachment 164254

And here’s my 11s next to the POY 14B. The 14B’s bowl was actually slightly deeper than this 11s but I also have a 312 (same shape as 11s) that has a bowl slightly deeper than the 14B, so I assume the 11s and 14B shapes are meant to be roughly the same bowl depth:
View attachment 164255
Yeah, a 20s is a pretty tiny pipe. Have 4 deluxe system pipes and surprisingly I find all of them to be relatively on the shallow side including the 11s.

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
Yeah, a 20s is a pretty tiny pipe. Have 4 deluxe system pipes and surprisingly I find all of them to be relatively on the shallow side including the 11s.
I’ve noticed a bit of wiggle room in sizing even within the same model. I have three 11s shapes (one 11s and two Premier 312), and the biggest is a good several mm deeper than the smallest—enough to make a noticeable difference in packed bowl size.

That said, I’ve found these 14B pipes to be roughly the same depth as my 11s shape pipes, so you were probably wise to pass on it for your tastes.

Piping Rooster

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2022
Champa Bay
Looks like Dreaming Pipes has a Sandblast left.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
i haven't gotten POTY in last two years. I'm late to the party as in they are all sold out, and not really feeling the shape.