Peterson’s Explains The Black Bowl Coating!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Unbelievable, and yet another reason why I'll continue to avoid "peterson."
I wouldn't necessarily avoid them. The pipes are great now that the coating has been removed. I personally remove all bowl coatings and right or wrong, lightly coat with honey. I see your point though

Reactions: Reggie

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
I have a few Petes, and every new one has had the black liner crap removed before the first smoke. I want briar to break in,
and season, not “craptastic” black coating...
Thereafter - I love my Petes.

Reactions: wyfbane and FurCoat

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Can't we just get a natural bowl without a bunch of crap plastered in for no apparent reason other than to aggravate people?

Reactions: kola

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I prefer my bowls uncoated, but my newer Petes had this coating and it actually does seem to cause a cake to form faster. No goo or weird flavors that I noticed, though I may not be all that sensitive to such things.
it added a tiny bit of harshness to my first couple bowls and honestly the cake did form quickly and maybe more importantly shockingly in a very uniform manner. My other pipes the cake is pretty close to even but in the pete it's bizarrely even.

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
I noticed that too, my older Petersons never had a grit to the bowl coating. The new ones did...wasn't sure if I cared for it because those grits will accumulate more readily. In the end they all smoked great. Still prefer uncoated bowls but I feel like I dont have have to baby them initially when they are coated.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Peterson natural finishes don't have coating. But in the end, it just doesn't make any difference. They all, almost all, smoke great. Someone open a new thread to bitch about their stem. Peterson's weak point is their ability to form/cut a straight stem. As much as I love Peterson, some of their stems just piss me off. Don't get me wrong, they smoke great. They are just not straight.

fightnhampster

Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
It’s been a long time since I purchased a Peterson’s, but I made a purchase last month from SPC for a ‘Speciality Smooth Belgique Fishtail’.

When I received the pipe I noticed the bowl coating was very shiny with a coarse texture, it looked odd to say the least, like plastic.

After smoking a few bowls, I noticed it disappearing, and the bottom of the bowl getting gooey and sticky.

I took some 100 proof vodka and cleaned it all out, and I was much happier.

I contacted Peterson’s to find out about this coating.

They told me, that in all their pipes that have black bowls, this coating is a wax mixture of gum arabic, charcoal and water.

Happy Puffing! :)

Interesting! I have a Brebbia I am breaking in that had that same thing happen at the bottom of the bowl the first time I smoked it. That must have been what it was.

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
95% of everything is, bullsh*t! ;) Including, most, if not all, of those unprovable-anecdotal, myths of pipe-smoking.

"Sell the sizzle, not the steak".