Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trogdor

Lurker
Apr 22, 2019
Hi everyone, new to the forum but not to pipes but one of my Peterson’s has me stumped.
I have a system pipe Apple shape with a full bent p lip army mount stem. I bought it new while in Ireland at the Peterson shop and was real excited to finally have a systems pipe but from the first smoke and many more after all I get is wet gurgling which is exactly the opposite reason I wanted a system pipe.
I have tried a few things like drying longer, different levels of packing, smoking as slow as possible, but it’s just not working. This is my favorite pipe as far as looks and feel but I’m thinking I may have a lemon.
I did read somewhere that the system pipes are supposed to have an extension at the end of the stem but mine is flat and kinda rough sawn on the end and does not go very deep into the tendon. Is this normal any other suggestions? I read you can blow slightly or tap on the stem to get any juice back down into the reservoir so I might try that today as it is collecting liquid but never full. I’m not a fan of having to run I pipe cleaner in or swab it out mid smoke.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Perhaps the pipe isn't fully seasoned. Smoke very dry tobacco in it for a while.
Photos would be good: Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Postimage; Dropbox, etc. Photobucket), or on virtually any site, including this site's album such as eBay, Amazon, you-name-it, select the full sized image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose "copy image location" or similar words. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg or .png) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.
The site's album is also a good choice for displaying photos, and the same method works for obtaining the image's URL for copying into the IMG box.
There are other good illustrations and steps on how to post photos in the "Latest Discussions" box,

LINK to that thread

trogdor

Lurker
Apr 22, 2019
Out on the beach so just have my phone today which makes it a little hard to post. Here are some links
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Hq38MSUWWI-2VHH5pwlQumBeW3j9XXxY/view?usp=drivesdk
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MH_bST9bII4We75XnNkQQlZEBIBTzwMH/view?usp=drivesdk

trogdor

Lurker
Apr 22, 2019
Probably 10 or more times. I have had it about 6 months but I have quite a few in rotation. I am starting tho think it may be the angle I rest it at when not taking a puff. It catches quite a bit of liquid in the system chamber even with the half bowl I just smoked I was able to pour a good amount out at the end

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Personal quirk of mine, but I have all non-system Petes bought new over about 8 years and they've all been good, so maybe just superstitiously, I'd avoid system pipes.

Reactions: aktlekagentleman

trogdor

Lurker
Apr 22, 2019
I have 2 other none system Pete’s which both have no issues one bought new one estate. The estate is a lower end shamrock striaight poker and it is currently my favorite even though I prefer bents it just out smokes all my others.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Another Pete System fan here ... yep, you've got a nice looking pipe! From what little I can tell from the picture, the draft hole looks okay.
If the moisture chamber is filling up that quickly ... maybe dry the tobacco even more? (Not criticizing your preferences ... some folks like to smoke wetter; some tobaccos like to be smoked wetter.) Also, and I have no good explanation why, less moisture seems to collect in the hole over time/use.
The newer Standard System pipes, in particular the acrylic-stemmed pipes, do not have the metal extension. If the stem is "rough sawn" at the end, it may be creating a little extra turbulence in the pipe when you draw, which might explain some of the extra moisture. If you're feeling brave, a little fine sandpaper might help with this symptom.
Keep us posted ... :puffy:

Jan 8, 2013
even with the half bowl I just smoked I was able to pour a good amount out at the end
If you're able to pour a good amount out the stem, your tobacco is way too moist, or your salivating an awful lot. I imagine even a system pipe is only going to do so much as far as trapping moisture. Dry your tobacco, try to control how much saliva is going down your stem, and maybe try to slow down your smoking cadence. You could be smoking too hot, also.

trogdor

Lurker
Apr 22, 2019
I’ll give it a try tonight. I do smoke almost exclusively flake tobacco which I do feel is harder to dry out.. I am a fan of how cool the system smokes all the way up to the point where it starts to gurgle. I end up just smoking the top half of the bowl sometimes as once it starts it comes back much faster. It’s for sure coming from the tobacco and not saliva. I will try drying a little more as well as keeping in upright and watching my pace and report back tonight

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If the moisture chamber is filling up that quickly ... maybe dry the tobacco even more? (Not criticizing your preferences ... some folks like to smoke wetter; some tobaccos like to be smoked wetter.) Also, and I have no good explanation why, less moisture seems to collect in the hole over time/use.
Yes, drier is better. And one reason less moisture collects over time may be that the pipe is drier and the cake more absorbent though heat driving out some moisture in the chamber.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Smoke slow and mind the position that you’re holding your pipe. The moisture trap area is only so big. Also make sure to keep it swabbed and clean after each smoke,

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
And one reason less moisture collects over time may be that the pipe is drier and the cake more absorbent though heat driving out some moisture in the chamber.

That's as good an explanation as I've heard/read.
You may consider this too much of a pain in the ass, but I'll share one of the things that improves the experience with flakes in system pipes, at least for me. Dry the flake out even more than you think it should be dried, fold and stuff or rub out and load as you prefer ... and leave the pipe out for a day or two so the tobacco at the top of the chamber dries out even more. At least in my experience, it's easier to light properly, and the stuff on top acts a little like kindling, without drying all your tobacco to a crisp (there are those who refer to this as Delayed Gratification Technique, though objectives for doing this may vary from smoker to smoker).

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
there should be a diagram of peterson system on the net. yours looks like stardard system. i have two system pipes and they smoke fine, from the first bowl. there's nothing extending from the stem. it's rather flat, however, the bore at the bottom should be bigger than at the button end. also, the botton end of the stem should pass the draft hole in the stummel just a little.

trogdor

Lurker
Apr 22, 2019
I had a decent smoke last night out of the system with very little gurgle. I quick tap of the stem got it back in line.. I did have to get my flake bone dry first and I’m not sure how I feel about the taste smoking it that dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.