PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
I have found that my beloved blend Private Stock burns my lips, tongue and insides of my cheeks. I thought I just needed to get used to it for the last 6 months now, but it keeps happening. This blend has a good deal of perique and I don't get this effect when smoking blends without this condiment. What do you guys think? I have and love Marlin Flake and its supposed to have perique in it but I don't get this burning effect. Now when I smoke Odyssey from Pease, or McC's Blue Mountain I don't get this either and the is no perique in these blends.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Which Private Stock? Sutliff and Davidoff have a whole line called Private Stock. Then there's Capt. Earle's and Ted's Pipe Shoppe Private Stock.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Try a blend without as much perique. I find once perique gets to be a higher percentage of the mix you can get that sensation. If you haven't tried GLP's Piccadilly you might want to. It's not a flake but it is a course blend. Another flake you might want to try is Solani Va. with perique. If that blend still gives you the same reaction then you may have an allergic sensitivity to it. Good luck.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
I had severe tongue burn not long after I started pipe smoking. I found out my mouth can't tolerate burley. I read English blends smoke cooler and are more mellow on the tongue and other parts of the mouth. Once I discovered Latakia, I couldn't get enough, but my mouth could! I always had to be careful and smoke no more than two bowls a day with anything other than aromatics. I'm not sure why, maybe the nicotine? I can tolerate straight Virginias better than VaPers, but they're still kinder on my tongue than English blends and anything with burley. Really stinks, because I love the taste of burley and almost every English blend I've had. I heard perique is high in nicotine, so perhaps you're like me? Do some experimenting.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
For me it is almost certainly the perique that does not agree with me, I have tried a handful of blends with different amounts of perique and all of them are not fun on my tongue.

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
Thanks for the feed-back guys...I appreciate it. I think trying some blends with quite a minimal amount of perique is in order.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Even a little bit of Perique gets me. I don't have enough sense to completely stop smoking it, because it tastes so good, so I'll avoid it for a week or two, then try again. It always feels like a chemical burn all over the inside of my mouth for a day or two. I've found nothing with any amount of Perique that I can smoke with any degree of comfort.
Dang it!

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"I've found nothing with any amount of Perique that I can smoke with any degree of comfort."
Try Old Gowrie the blender uses a very light hand on the Perique.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
Once perique hits a certain concentration, I get the sneezes. But better that than a scalding throat.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Perique sensitive:
th

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I really, really, really like Perique. But not in a large % of the blend. Despite the fact that some smokers like large amounts of Latakia and Perique in their blends it does not seem unreasonable that both of these condiment tobaccos could be problematic for some smokers, much like some people are bothered by small amounts of capsicum in some peppers while other folks can put away large quantities of habaneros.

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
I'm right with you. In my case, I don't get tongue burn and can't really describe the sensation. What I can say is that my 'reaction' to perique is systemic. Something in me goes way off and gives me a queasy feeling.
I remember when I was getting back into pipe smoking, discussing blends with my local tobacconist. I mentioned that I had a sensitivity to perique to which he responded that he knew many other smokers that had adverse reactions to perique.
There are some blends I can smoke (and enjoy) but the percentage of perique is quite low. Generally, I look for blends without it.

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
Thanks for your comments, guys. It's really too bad for I love a god dose of perique. I tried some other VAPERs with low perique and everything worked fine, so I can handle some, but not too much. And the English blend I tried without perique worked perfectly. I would really be disappointed if I had the same reaction to Latakia.

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
I know man...it really sucks I love perique, but it doesn't love me.
I've tried the flake and its not bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.