PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Let me make you guys jealous.

I had the opportunity to sit down with Mark Ryan, owner of D&R Tobaccos, at the L.A. Poche Perique facility in St. James Parish yesterday afternoon. We sat and talked for about 2 hours about the perique industries and some interesting projects in the works but I'm not at liberty to gave anything more than vague information about them.
While we were talking, he poured me a small glass of Perique Liqueur which is distilled in France. I paired it with a bowl of Haddo's Delight and it was a perfect pairing. The first impression I got was of a very light anise flavor. It was smooth and sweet with a somewhat fruity finish. If you have ever smelled perique in a barrel, imagine how that smell would taste. I was impressed.
The problem now is finding it anywhere in the U.S. for purchase. Mark said he got his bottle from someone who flew to France and brought back a case.
dgOS1AE.jpg

jamban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
My wife is from France. If you are really keen, i can ask her to help track this down. ;{D

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
More on the liqueur.
Jade's Perique Tobacco Liqueur was released in 2006 following many months of careful development.
Louisiana Perique is the rarest and more precious tobacco in the entire world. Early French settlers learned the secrets of Perique cultivation from the native peoples, and while their descendents have continued the tradition for centuries, very little Perique tobacco exists today. The unique terroir of the Mississippi River gives Perique the intense spices and aromas that contribute to the delicate balance of this fine liqueur.
In an effort to bring attention to this endangered tradition, Jade Liqueurs® created Perique liqueur to captivate one's senses with the wonderful aroma of this native, organically cultivated tobacco, but in a form that effectively negates the health concerns associated with tobacco use. Its entirely artisanal construction has been meticulously developed and scientifically proven to embody the nuances of this ancient tobacco while excluding harmful qualities associated with the plant. Perique is best enjoyed in the same manner as one would a fine liqueur or brandy. Due to the difficulty in procuring this rare tobacco, Perique® liqueur is available only in limited quantities.
Read a review from Slashfood
Tasting Notes

The aroma is unique, but with touches of cognac, woody tones, Perique tobacco, spices, and briny sea air. In addition I was surprised and intrigued by a complex base of fermented notes in the aroma which bring to mind just a touch of belacan or bagoong alamang **suspended pleasantly within. Some could think this a negative aroma, but as in the iodine brine of a good seaside single malt Scotch, it adds a unique touch that brings the other components together. The taste is sharp, but smooth, with a mild sweetness that balances the fire in the liqueur. The tangy fermented Perique tobacco comes through more so than in the aroma, as do the hints of spices. Then it has a woody finish combined with fine leather, as if you were sitting in an old leather armchair, in a cozy library where your favorite grandfather had smoked his pipe a few hours before.
** Wow. Who knew?

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Ted Breux Makes it. He is the master behind the resurgence of Authentic Absinthe to the world market. He crafts beautiful absinthes that are cloned from original prebanned Pernod Fils, , Oxygenated, and Correct Swiss Absinthes. He's a chemist that has destroyed the myths behind absinthe, and has brought to the market something unique and special with the Perique Liqueur. Glad you had a chance to try this pappy.

jmagen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2016
Wish I coulda joined you, Pappy. I'm here in the parish myself. Never heard of the liqueur though .

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
".... just a touch of belacan or bagoong alamang..."
Had to look those up...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrimp_paste
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagoong

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Bagoong was the sound my Sportster made when it leaned out, overheated and bent the exhaust valve push rods.
jay-roger.jpg

jamban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
".... just a touch of belacan or bagoong alamang..."
Anyone know what the heck these taste like or even what they are?
It is a local fermented paste. And i guess you have read a bit about it by now. It is used sparingly in cooking. Sometimes not so sparingly. Hahaha! It is very popularly used in the making of sambal, a spicy chilli paste. It tastes much better than it sounds. We love it!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's only fair since there are so many tobacco blends with bourbon, whiskey in general, liqueurs, rum, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.