PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
On Friday, October 2nd, Mark Ryan, President and Owner of D&R Tobacco will give a guided tour through his unique Perique Processing Factory located just outside New Orleans in St. James Parish. This is a once in a life time event to see first hand how the leaves are processed, barreled, and aged. You will learn some history about Perique and learn how Perique almost disappeared just a few short years ago. In addition to this great tour and history lesson, Mark has arranged for a tobacco sampling and blending session. He will have Virginia, Burley, Latikia, Cavendish and yes Perique to sample and then we will be guided through blending our own with the available tobacco, and have a few ounces of your very own custom blend to take home. In addition, we will be treated to lunch and beverages before heading back to New Orleans.
The tour will leave Harrahs Hotel around 9am and return back around 3pm. The cost is $35 per person and you must register at www.nolapipeshow.com
Seats are limited, about 1/3 of the seats have already been reserved, so if your interested in taking the tour sign up soon to guarantee your spot
We are very excited about this opportunity and look forward to seeing many of our pipe brothers and sisters in New Orleans in October.

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
the lunch is still a work in progress...there are a couple options that I am working on, so more to come later on the lunch. As of right now, we would prefer attendees to ride the bus bc of limited parking available at Mark's facility, and with the bus, that will make it that much more crowded. However, there are always exceptions and I will address each of those on a one on one basis.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I was hoping this would be a link to a video tour. A glimpse inside the bastion of Periquedom would be wonderful. I wish I could be there for the actual tour.

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
That sounds like a great idea. I will be back at the factory in Feb. maybe I will take some video and we will post a teaser on the website.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
NOLA Cajun, I'll catch the teaser and then await pylorns's full-length feature.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
What a cool opportunity and experience. Please do post a video here for us unfortunate souls who cannot attend!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I can't be there, but let me cheer on others. Imagine pipe tobacco blends without the availability of Perique.

Most blends don't have it, but consider the importance of those that do, and the variety and emphasis it

lends to so many. This isn't a tour, it's a pilgrimage.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I can't be there, but let me cheer on others. Imagine pipe tobacco blends without the availability of Perique. Most blends don't have it, but consider the importance of those that do, and the variety and emphasis it

lends to so many. This isn't a tour, it's a pilgrimage.
You are so right, I'm a huge fan of how things are made or work and to see and be in the only place in the world this product is made. Plus I'm hoping to use this time and show to add a few more artisan pipes from the show..

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
Registered for the tour. Couldn't be more excited. Looking forward to meeting with as many of you as possible.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For those who are going and are inclined to take a note or two, an account of the tour would be

a wonderful post, with lots of facts and history. 'Doesn't have to be long, just content rich. I don't

know, but I suspect that tours aren't a regular thing, so this is kind of a unique opportunity.

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
I would be glad to do it. I'm not calling absolute dibs or anything because I am sure they are more talented/qualified people to accomplish mso's suggestion. At the very least I am throwing my name out there and would love to take on the project or at least help. I also have a decent Nikkon SLR. Would be fun to play journalist for a day.
@NOLA Cajun, how much of the tour do you think we could document without infringing on our host?

Status
Not open for further replies.