PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Yeah, I am pretty meticulous with cleaning. I don't think that is an issue. I am mostly referring to two Castellos I smoke three times a week. They smoke fine otherwise. Do you ever find the perique ghost to utterly haunt a pipe—overtaking the sweetness of the Virginia leaf in a VA/per?

I definitely can taste a perique ghost when smoking a Virginia blend in a pipe that had previously smoked a perique blend.

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
I smoke VAs and Vapers in the same pipes. But don’t smoke a lot of perique or really strong blends. I’ve not noticed a ghosting.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I clean the piss out of my pipes no matter va,vaper and vaber if I forget one day and smoke a vaper pipe in a va pipe I notice some different flavors but nothing like a Latakia or Lakeland ghost.

Reactions: BrokenRecord

BrokenRecord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2020
PNW, US
I clean the piss out of my pipes no matter va,vaper and vaber if I forget one day and smoke a vaper pipe in a va pipe I notice some different flavors but nothing like a Latakia or Lakeland ghost.
Do you go beyond using one or two pipe cleaners? I flush one of the two pipes semi often with tap water. I will do an alcohol salt soak on them and see if that changes anything. I am fine with a ghost, I just think I over did the perique for half a year on a small pipe rotation.

Thank you all for your responses. This helps.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Do you go beyond using one or two pipe cleaners? I flush one of the two pipes semi often with tap water. I will do an alcohol salt soak on them and see if that changes anything. I am fine with a ghost, I just think I over did the perique for half a year on a small pipe rotation.

Thank you all for your responses. This helps.
After I smoke a bowl, I run a pipe cleaner through the stem and shank, then I swirl the bowl with the same cleaner bent in half to keep the cake to the level I prefer. I’ll do a deep cleaning 1-2 times per year with Everclear and few cleaners but that’s about it. ☕

Reactions: BrokenRecord

northernpipeshed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2017
After I smoke a bowl, I run a pipe cleaner through the stem and shank, then I swirl the bowl with the same cleaner bent in half to keep the cake to the level I prefer. I’ll do a deep cleaning 1-2 times per year with Everclear and few cleaners but that’s about it. ☕
Sounds like my routine.......though I can't get Everclear in the U.K...........so I use the bottle of rank rum I was given by my mother-in-law a few years ago....

Reactions: Simmerdown☕️

BrokenRecord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2020
PNW, US
Sounds like my routine.......though I can't get Everclear in the U.K...........so I use the bottle of rank rum I was given by my mother-in-law a few years ago....
I run one-to-two pipe cleaners after every smoke. After twenty smokes, I run an alcohol soaked pipe cleaner through the shank. However, on one of the pipes I flush with water every so often. I do not experience anything different in the taste between them.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I run one-to-two pipe cleaners after every smoke. After twenty smokes, I run an alcohol soaked pipe cleaner through the shank. However, on one of the pipes I flush with water every so often. I do not experience anything different in the taste between them.
If this is the extent of you're cleaning regimen, you're not doing nearly enough to get your pipe neutral. Your airway is clean when you alcohol soaked fluffy, taper, or taper bristle comes out clean after scrubbing out the shank airway. Whether this take 3, 5, 10, 100,000, the airway is clean when the cleaners come out clean.
Running a pipe cleaner through the airway between bowls is good basic maintenance, but without occasionally removing the stem to clean out the mortise you'll ave a decent draw through a stinky pipe.

And not everyone has the same level of sensory awareness. I worked with a guy at Starz, who owned the second most vile smelling, rancid pipe I've ever encountered. It was a Peterson that he smoked multiple times a day, and it was the only pipe that he owned. He never disassembled it, to my knowledge, and only occasionally ran a pipe cleaner through it when the airway got clogged. You could smell that pipe a block away. He loved that pipe and seemed to have completely acclimated to its rancid sour stench.

Status
Not open for further replies.