PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrokenRecord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2020
PNW, US
Has anyone here experienced whether pipes dedicated to perique blends tend to sour more quickly than pipes dedicated to other tobaccos? I tend to smoke VA/per blends heavy on the perique side of the spectrum. My only pipes that develop any sourness seems to be my VA/per pipes. Pipes dedicated to burley, English, or straight Virginia blends seem to be fine. Maybe it is just a heavy perique ghost. I would love to hear from long-term VA/per smokers.

Any thoughts, doubts, fears or anxieties?

Last edited:

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I’ve never noticed this in my pipes. Perique does leave a bit of a ghost I guess? But only in pipes I’ve dedicated to straight perique, even those seem to get busted eventually.

Reactions: ofafeather

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Has anyone here experienced whether pipes dedicated to perique blends tend to sour more quickly than pipes dedicated to other tobaccos? I tend to smoke VA/per blends heavy on the perique side of the spectrum. My only pipes that develop any sourness seems to be my VA/per pipes. Pipes dedicated to burley, English, or straight Virginia blends seem to be fine. Maybe it is just a heavy perique ghost. I would love to hear from long-term VA/per smokers.

Any thoughts, doubts, fears or anxieties?
All pipes that have smoked perique are ruined. Please PM me for proper forum-approved disposal methods.

BrokenRecord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2020
PNW, US
Perique will leave a scent. I clean my pipes vigorously after use, which seems to remedy the problem. Make sure that you completely clean out the mortise.
Yeah, I am pretty meticulous with cleaning. I don't think that is an issue. I am mostly referring to two Castellos I smoke three times a week. They smoke fine otherwise. Do you ever find the perique ghost to utterly haunt a pipe—overtaking the sweetness of the Virginia leaf in a VA/per?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yeah, I am pretty meticulous with cleaning. I don't think that is an issue. I am mostly referring to two Castellos I smoke three times a week. They smoke fine otherwise. Do you ever find the perique ghost to utterly haunt a pipe—overtaking the sweetness of the Virginia leaf in a VA/per?
Utterly haunt a pipe? Nope, never experienced that, and after a cleaning I find that a couple of bowls of something else tends to overpower the trace.
I may be that I don't tend toward heavy Perique blends and I let them age for years before smoking, such that the Perique becomes more fruity. I popped a 7 year old tin of GL Pease Stratford last week and it was fruity goodness. I've also been adding a pinch of 20+ year old Percy Martin Perique to a bowl of D&R Rimbouché AP that adds a fruity pop to that blend.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Have you ever smelled straight Perique? I have some for blending. It’s a pretty musty and sour smelling stuff. My guess would be that you’re just smelling the Perique ghost.
Periques vary quite a bit. Mark Ryan sent me an assortment of Periques as a gift a few years ago and I was surprised at the variation. His 10 year Blenders Bench was extraordinary, rich with fruit. I'm very happy I bought a few tubs of it before it was bought out.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Back in prehistory when I started the board that I read urged dedicating perique pipes, and if I read it on that board, I obeyed. But it didn't seem to have much effect, so I stopped. Between reading about nonexistent relationships online and making up my own, I followed a lot of rules.

After a few years I started questioning and gradually got rid of most of them. It took a year before I felt I had a clue. In the beginning it was overwhelming.

BrokenRecord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2020
PNW, US
Periques vary quite a bit. Mark Ryan sent me an assortment of Periques as a gift a few years ago and I was surprised at the variation. His 10 year Blenders Bench was extraordinary, rich with fruit. I'm very happy I bought a few tubs of it before it was bought out.
This is very true. Thank you for your response. I will probably just deep clean the pipes, stop smoking only heavy perique blends in them, and smoke a ton of burley through them.

That said, my question remains: Can a perique ghost overpower a VA/per? Can the funk become too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.