PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
I’m curious as to what most of you think is the best pipe lighter out there. I recently brought this online and it lights the bowl very evenly without scorching the rim. The wick burns down really quickly though and I’m wondering if that’s common to this type of lighter or if it just an inferior wick. Fortunately it’s pretty long and can be drawn out with some tweezers, I’m dreading trying to re-thread it once it’s burnt out though. The proverbial camel comes to mind. image.jpg

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
The you have is the Chinese copy of this one. Definitely switch out the shitty wick to a Zippo. Switching is actually easier than you think. Open the bottom plug. Pull out all of the packing and it’s pretty straight forward. The Zippo has a wire support in it. When you're done carefully repack the wick.

pro tip - leave more new wick exposed than you need, because packing will pull some back in.

Here’s my Ben

14987B82-0F04-4B71-B20B-8F636B35907F.jpegD9F813B3-8B60-4195-9052-539E75013B01.jpeg

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
The you have is the Chinese copy of this one. Definitely switch out the shitty wick to a Zippo. Switching is actually easier than you think. Open the bottom plug. Pull out all of the packing and it’s pretty straight forward. The Zippo has a wire support in it. When you're done carefully repack the wick.

pro tip - leave more new wick exposed than you need, because packing will pull some back in.

Here’s my Ben

View attachment 53960View attachment 53961
That’s beautiful, I had no idea mine was a copy but I find it works great, I’ve done as suggested and ordered a zippo wick and I’ll replace it as soon as this one burns down. Brilliant design.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
001-068-0216.jpg

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Bic is best for price.

Kiribi/Old Boy style is best for convenience. I like that I can light them and hold them with the flame away from my fingers. I can light my pipe as lightly and slowly as I please (as long as it isn't windy).

I don't care for zippos with traditional fuel due to the taste and the butane pipe insert doesn't seem to hold a lot of fuel. Plus you have to take the butane insert out to adjust the flame.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
If you buy a Kiribi, do order a jar of replacement flints with it: it's not fun when the flint is done and you have to wait for the post to arrive, or for the seller to restock them (which can take months).

Reactions: hairvise and Casual
Status
Not open for further replies.