PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I just made a purchase from LJ Peretti on Monday. It's on a new-ish card that's had little exposure.

Today, I got notified that I had made a $700 Apple Pay transaction at a Best Buy in Minnesota.

Never been to Minnesota. Never had an Apple product.

I hope they get this fixed, as I've really enjoyed their blends, so far.

Buyer beware...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm sorry to hear that. We know it is not just the Peretti card. Card theft happens all over the place. A mom and pop outfit that sells crutch tips to the handicapped had to open a separate site to evade a hacker. Can you imagine a crook so low they'd pick on a mom-and-pop site that sells exclusively to the handicapped? Well, that's one level of humanity, I know. Incidentally, the crutch tips, designed for both rain and snow-and-ice (two different models) are excellent, so much better than what hospitals and orthopedic clinics issue. I just ordered two new sets for my wife who goes many places on sticks. She hates the wheelchair for the social statement and treatment it invites. Do a private message if you need the link to this outfit.

Reactions: echie and BROBS
Oct 7, 2016
Just confirms other reports from other forums. Peretti owner was quoted several weeks ago as saying they were aware of problem and working on it, perhaps in this forum. Yes, ID theft is a problem that is not unique to Peretti, but people who have inspected their site using widely available tools that can evaluate security levels still haven’t sounded the all clear (as can be) signal for Peretti.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
They haven't properly configured their website. I've been contemplating making a first time order from them and my browser warns me when I fill up their shopping cart that information is being sent through an insecure conduit. I think I'll phone in my order.

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
I’m no real help here, but I had the good fortune to be IN the LJ Peretti store at 2 1/2 Park Plaza on Black Friday. No Black Friday sales or anything, just happened to be in Boston for the Thanksgiving weekend, and needed to visit. Stocked up, used my credit card, and all is good, so far. Website transactions are another issue and problem...
Old School tobacco shop for sure, with a great history. In my brief time there, 4-5 patrons came in, or were already in smoking cigars. I was the only one getting paint cans, and having samples weighed on the old time scale of pipe tobacco. I got the sense they ENJOYED the pipe tobacco order process, and took my order like I was at the deli. Great experience. I wasn’t there to make life long friends, and neither were they. I’m an New Englander, and they are too. If you don’t “get it”, it could come off a bit “rough”... All good here. ?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I spoke to the folks at Peretti as I purchase from them time to time. I am confident they have addressed whatever issues there may have been. With that said, the most secure transaction for any purchase is one made with a call in. I love several of their blends and will most certainly continue to purchase from them. Along with Watch City and a few others, they're one of the few remaining high end B&M's that create their own high quality blends. Pipe smokers should support them when possible to help insure their long term viability.

Reactions: oldguyoldpipes

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
I placed an internet order with them a few weeks ago for some blends. Everything went fine and I have my tobaccos.

I'll keep an eye on my card.

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
I previously had a credit card issue with their online order process. I have ordered from them several times since via telephone with no problems. Their telephone service is friendly if you know the blend and quantity you want. They always seem busy, but are friendly if you are to the point and now what you want. I just write down the blend and quantity, read it off to them and the encounter is friendly, but business-like. They have pretty fast shipping in my experience. Their blends have become some of my favorites. Also, I tried to use a pre-paid CC to avoid my primary CC being exposed, but those pre-paid Visa CC DO NOT allow for online or telephone orders. Only point sales. It says so on the fine print on the card and also when you go to register the card online. Save yourself the hassle, call in your order.

jerry

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
I ordered from them over a month ago via website. No problem with credit card. I’m keeping an eye on it. PS: Thanksgiving Day is a blend that I smoke all year round.

Status
Not open for further replies.