PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjarrett88

Lurker
May 20, 2019
I honestly just can’t figure out what the fuss is over Penzance. Margate just seems like a far superior smoke to me.

Reactions: oldtoby

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
I like both but there are fairly different to me so I can understand why some folks would prefer one over the other.
If you like Margate you may also like Pembroke which is Margate that has some cognac added. Again, some folks prefer Pembroke over Margate and some the opposite. I would suggest you revisit these a few times over an extended period before writing off Penzance :)

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Jf Germain just released a new product called 1820 Flake; they say their 1820 Blend is the base for Penzance. Looks interesting and reviews for it so far are very good

thedudeabides

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
Margate to me has more of the church incense thing going on than Penzance. It also strikes me as having a briny, almost olive tin note at first. Interesting stuff!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Jf Germain just released a new product called 1820 Flake; they say their 1820 Blend is the base for Penzance. Looks interesting and reviews for it so far are very good
From what I've read on other forums, not even in the same ballpark.

Oct 7, 2016
A UK on line shop made that statement. I have smoked 1820 and fail to see any resemblance. Could it be more like Penzance if in Flake form? Well, I suppose all things are possible. But my understanding is that it won’t be available in the US. The only guys I know who have any just got it recently from trades with UK friends. They got pouches, and the flakes were all broken up. Reviews from them aren’t all that favorable.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
My understanding is that Penzance is pressed Margate. Sure there will be some differences from the pressing but in the end they are essentially the same blend. If you like Penzance better but happen to have Margate on hand buy a noodle press and voila! You now have Penzance.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
It's not. While both are blends Germain's created for private label use, they're different blends from that catalog.

There was just a recent post by Premal that confirmed that it is. But who knows, maybe he got it wrong too.
Premal,
"As far as I knew, Penzance is Margate with something to keep it held together because of the double cut just like Krumble Kake is Our Best Blend.”

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Looking forward to trying the 1820 Flake as I like Penzance but price wise Penzance is cheaper for me. Availability vs price I suppose...

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
"As far as I knew, Penzance is Margate with something to keep it held together because of the double cut just like Krumble Kake is Our Best Blend.”
And I've heard it differently from several other sources, including Greg Pease. Steve Richman requested some changes to the Germain's blends that he was offered, so each is a little different.
There has been this suggestion that the Esoterica blends are a copy of the Smokers Haven blends that has been contested by knowledgeable people on both sides.
In the end, it doesn't really matter. Margate doesn't taste the same as Penzance.

exbenedict

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2018
I agree, Margate IS better than Penzance. That being said, I never pass up an opportunity to grab an "unobtanium" when I can at regular retail prices. If for no other reason than I can use it for trade later, or, if I don't need anything at the time...smoke it.

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
I love Margate. I also love Ramsgate. I walked into my B&M and walked out with 2 8oz bags of Ramsgate and one 8oz Margate ($44 each) not 2 weeks ago. Also a tin of HH Vintage Syrian (2016). Since it's become unobtanium, I didn't mind paying the $20 for the tin.
CW

Status
Not open for further replies.