PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I also agree, everyone should stop buying Penzance. I don't think people understand how crucial this is. My understanding from my friends at the CDC is that smoking Penzance is the leading cause of elephantiasis of the testicles. Many long term users need a wheelbarrow just to walk to the store so please, stop buying Penzance. Think of the children.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I also agree, everyone should stop buying Penzance. I don't think people understand how crucial this is. My understanding from my friends at the CDC is that smoking Penzance is the leading cause of elephantiasis of the testicles. Many long term users need a wheelbarrow just to walk to the store so please, stop buying Penzance. Think of the children.
I remember seeing that once, only once!

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I have to admit, I've never even tried Penzance, and I've had several opportunities at reasonable prices. I just have so many other great Balkans already, including Supreme, Sasieni, WK, BH, G&H BM, 10-Midnight as well as a few GLP creations... I'm curious about the hype, but not curious enough to pay a dime above retail. I started back piping right as the Frog Mortons disappeared from the market and I've had the pleasure of trying a few, and loved them, but also don't want to pay what's being asked for them. I tried so many other brands' "English/Aro" crossovers and none were close to as good as the FMs, then stumbled upon Pembroke, ASTB, and St Ives... I'm surprised that these are slept on so much considering the void in the crossover market. Imho, they're even better than the frogs, just replace McC's ketchup with Germain's fruit/anise topping. I guess I'm just surprised that I've never even seen anyone compare the 2 or even mention them together. I mean, they're obviously different, but more similar than all the wet dog vanilla burley cavendish Sutliff offerings that are marketed as Frog replacements by P&C.
Rant over.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I have to admit, I've never even tried Penzance, and I've had several opportunities at reasonable prices. I just have so many other great Balkans already, including Supreme, Sasieni, WK, BH, G&H BM, 10-Midnight as well as a few GLP creations... I'm curious about the hype, but not curious enough to pay a dime above retail. I started back piping right as the Frog Mortons disappeared from the market and I've had the pleasure of trying a few, and loved them, but also don't want to pay what's being asked for them. I tried so many other brands' "English/Aro" crossovers and none were close to as good as the FMs, then stumbled upon Pembroke, ASTB, and St Ives... I'm surprised that these are slept on so much considering the void in the crossover market. Imho, they're even better than the frogs, just replace McC's ketchup with Germain's fruit/anise topping. I guess I'm just surprised that I've never even seen anyone compare the 2 or even mention them together. I mean, they're obviously different, but more similar than all the wet dog vanilla burley cavendish Sutliff offerings that are marketed as Frog replacements by P&C.
Rant over.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Just cracked a 4 y/o tin of SOTE this afternoon. Heard it tastes similar to the Zance. Gonna smoke some tonight. Never had SOTE before.
To my taste, Star of the East has very little in common with Penzance at all. Well, let me restate that:

None of the special flavors that I like in Penzance show up to my palate when smoking Star of the East.

Many people seem to find a happy overlap between the two. I hope you like it!

Reactions: ram74 and dcon

smokeyweb

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2013
To my taste, Star of the East has very little in common with Penzance at all. Well, let me restate that:

None of the special flavors that I like in Penzance show up to my palate when smoking Star of the East.

Many people seem to find a happy overlap between the two. I hope you like it!
While tasty... this ain’t no Penzance! Haha16496

Status
Not open for further replies.