PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pandapiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2018
I know we've had questions on favorite blends and desert island blends mentioned before,  but (and forgive me for taking a morbid tone) what about the penultimate smoke? The question struck me over my Sunday smoke after having watched a number of movies and shows with an apocalyptic theme. I caught myself wondering if faced with the scenario where the end was approaching, but I had time for 1 last smoke, what would I reach for knowing it would be my last? Would it be a favourite and known blend, or one of the unopened aged blends from the cellar that I hadn't got around to... And which pipe would I use for the occasion?

pandapiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2018
Hahaha oh what a mistake. Well.... One could argue that in that sort of event we'd be the last one getting smoked.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
:rofl: Here would be my tobacco and

pipe.
img_20160828_151558.jpg

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I have looked up penultimate and I realize that if I only had time for one last smoke, I would already have finished my penultimate smoke. In that case, I would go online and claim that I was smoking a 60-year old tin of Three Nuns from the estate of C.S. Lewis, regardless of the fact that it most likely would actually have been a bowl of damp Capstan that I didn't finish due to tongue bite. Then I would decide that there was no point in smoking anymore, thus making the penultimate smoke the ultimate, and go read a story to my kids and have no idea what the actual penultimate smoke really was. I have confused myself.

pandapiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2018
Regardless thanks woodsroad for pointing out my error, I would say it's been a long day (which it has been) but I should have known better. My penultimate would likely be HH Vintage Syrian in my Savinelli, my last would be SPC Plum Pudding SR in my Stanwell freehand.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I hope I don't realize it when I have my penultimate and final bowls of my life. Perhaps it (my life) will go out with the last puff of the ultimate bowl of whatever I like at the time. Right now it'd be Margate.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
P: SPC Plum Pudding in my Dunhill pot.
L: Tinderbox Waffle House in my Brog Olivewood pipe the diameter of a beer can. Taking my time going out with that one!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd request a few years to think about it, to test out new blends and re-consider old ones. Several decades would do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.