PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I placed an order with Pipes and Cigars on Black Friday and the order was completed and I received everything. It was a perfect transaction except that there has been a duplicate “pending payment” charged to my PayPal account ever since. I emailed Customer Service at P&C last week to see if they can do anything about it but I haven’t heard back from them yet.

PayPal says these usually get voided after 30 days but it depends on the vendor.

I’m sure it will work out in the long run but it’s frustrating to have my money tied up in the meantime. Anyone else have this experience that can offer some advice?

DavidT

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2019
Iowa
I stopped using paypal many years ago, so I'm no expert.
It looks to me like you have 2 payments made here.
1 is an automatic payment. This you have to setup and also cancel on your paypal account page yourself.
2 is a regular purchase order payment. similar to, but not the same as using a debit card.

during the checkout process most websites used to swap to paypal's page so you can complete the transaction.
Is there any chance that you accidentally setup an automatic payment for them?
If so I would check to make sure you don't have them setup to get paid that much on a certain date every month.

I've seen it happen on another website I frequent that focuses on 3D modeling and CGI art. They can get several unhappy customers every month or so posting on the forums with the same problem.And yes, sometimes it takes several more months to talk the person into going to their own paypal account page and canceling the automatic payment. The website they told paypal to pay automatically can't change this. The user has to do it.

I don't use paypal for numerous reasons, this is one of them.I use my debit card for 99.99% of my online shopping and haven't had any of these problems.The nice thing about debit cards is that they are disposable. If the number gets collected in a hack, I just get a new one in a few minutes at the bank and I'm good to go shopping again.

Seems alot of the PC.com problems I've read about on here has paypal involved at some point in the transaction.Not all of them of course.Paypal doesn't leave your tobacco to age at a UPS shipping hub for days.
That's just one of the many services UPS offers :)

Last edited:
Reactions: litup

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The biggest issue I had with them was getting double charged for an IPSD 2017 order and never receiving the merchandise.

DavidT

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2019
Iowa
no jinx voodoo incantation goes here

I've never had a problem with billing nor shipments from P&C.
Got my 3 tins of Nightcap today, right on time.

I've got an order in with SP.com, but I don't expect that one until later next week. It is the holidays after all, and I expect them to take a few days off as I do USPS and UPS.

The only issue I've had shopping online was from SP and I'm not entirely certain it was credible.I got an email saying they had been hacked.So just to be sure I called my bank and cancelled the debit card I use for online shopping.I popped in after work and had a new card in a few minutes. The hackers, if there were any, now have an invalid card number. I keep a separate account with a debit card I use for online shopping for just such events.

Reactions: danimalia

Sonorisis

Dec 24, 2019
I had one of those "pending payment" limbo situations a while back with PayPal. It did, in fact, resolve itself within a few weeks.

I always figure that using P&C and/or PayPal might end up in a load of angst. So, yada, yada, yada..... caveat emptor....

litup

Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
This isn't a duplicate payment. It's a time stamp of what's happening. One is pending. The next day it's paid. Happens on my Paypal as well.
That’s what I thought at first too but if it’s just a time stamp issue, why did it deduct an extra $195 from my balance? And why hasn’t it gone away? Why wouldn’t all my other transactions display time stamps as well?

Worknman

Sep 23, 2019
The pending transaction probably hasn't deducted anything from your actual balance, but has deducted from your available balance. Its technically two different things but still a little annoying. Normally it will go away after a certain period of time and your available balance will go back to normal.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
The pending transaction probably hasn't deducted anything from your actual balance, but has deducted from your available balance. Its technically two different things but still a little annoying. Normally it will go away after a certain period of time and your available balance will go back to normal.
This. Literally every time I've thought I was double-charged (and they were many) it was exactly this. It's a little annoying but bank transactions are a series of back-and-forths and your actual balance is the net of all of them. My favorite are the refunds that take 5 working days (which in real terms ends up being a week).

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
P&C strokes again. No, these types of transactions do not cause any permanent damage. However, it isn't necessary and it doesn't seem to happen with other online retailers. P&C obviously has to be aware of the complaints. Why don't they do something about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.