PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I picked up a couple of tins of Pelican yesterday. When adding them to my cellar I noticed the one that I had before has a sharpie line blocking something out. My questions is, what the hell is this sharpie line all about? Was it factory done or B&M done or what? It looks like this one from 4noggins.
butera_pelican.2.jpg

Dec 24, 2012
I can't recall what the sharpie line is crossing out, but my recollection is that they are using old tins from when Germain made the tobacco, and now it is made by Peter Stokkabye. What is crossed out again?

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Could have been anyone, but most likely was not the manufacturer. Probably the tin's original owner? Who knows why? I read that it was made in the UK, then the US, and then Denmark by three different manufacturers. It must have been someone that had a previous version, bought the Stokkebye version, didn't like it, and marked out Made in Denmark; like a child drawing on the face of an enemy in his/her grade school yearbook.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
It was out of production for a while - is it suddenly back in?
It would be great news if Kingfisher were to return.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I believe that Germains is making it now, and PS used to make it. It comes in along with other Esoterica products. If it were a Stokkebye product, it would probably be easier to find.
Yeah... I just went off the notes on TR. I really have no idea, but what you say makes sense. I just laughed at the thought of someone marking out the country of origin on a tin of tobacco, and the reasons behind someone doing that. Seems like someone just couldn't stomach looking at a tin that said Made In Denmark, or maybe thought it could sell for more if it was a different version? I don't know, it's just funny to me.
I guess it could have always been a misprint and an attempt at correcting it? Again, I really have no idea.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Peck is right. As usual.
They crossed it out after the supplier change so they didn't have to print new labels.
The only tins I have are the old versions without the line crossing.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Yup. "Made in Denmark" under line. Label on back says "Made in Jersey, British Isles". I can only surmise that Germain's is using old labels. Similar to Orlick using Murray's tins for a few months when they took over production of Dunhill blends.

Hmm, why does it arrive in the same box as the Esotericas to the B&M? I believe Peck could be right. My post was just an educated guess, but Peck's response doesn't mathematically add up. Plus, wouldn't they leave the "made in Denmark" if Stokkebye is making it? And, why is PS not making more of it to meet demand? Why are they acting just like Esoterica?
Too many damn questions. Ha ha :puffy:

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
McClelland makes the other Butera blends.
I think this is precisely because they can meet the production demand...vs J.F. Germain. I'm sure it's more complex, and also relates, in the case of Pelican (and Kingfisher) to the sourcing of the tobaccos in these blends.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I love staying confused and this thread is certainly helping me. :wink:
Originally, both Kingfisher and Pelican were made by Germain and splashed across the bottom front of the tins were "Made in the British Isles." Once the blending moved to Denmark (Orlik/Stokkebye) Made in Denmark was on the front of the tins and they used the good old Magic Marker to mark out the "Made in the British Isles". When Germain got the blending rights back, they marked out the "Made in Denmark" on the labels with their Magic Markers. So, to figure out who made one of those dadgum bird blends you have to check the bottom of the tins to see if the Germain or Danish stickers are on the bottoms. During the short interim period when McClelland's gave Pelican a go, there was no "Made in...." on the top labels. It is my opinion that McClelland's should have stamped "Made in the USA" on the front of the tin labels so that when either Denmark or the British Isles got the rights back, the Magic Marker business in one of those two countries would have benefited.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
LOL nice explanation Pipestud. So I should look at the back of the tin and it will tell me whether it is British Isle or Denmark. Interesting and crazy method of saving a few pennies.
It would be great news if Kingfisher were to return.
Hear, hear!! I have never had Kingfisher, always wanted to try it and would love to get my greedy paws on some.

Status
Not open for further replies.