Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Does it have any flavorings?
Is it sweetened, and how much, compared to PA, Carter Hall or Edgeworth?
I don't mind a bit of molasses, but am generally not fond of fruit or licorice. Thanks!
I do not detect any added flavorings. The touch of Virginias adds a natural sweetness and the cavendish is unflavored and rounds out the mouthfeel, but this one is about the dance of the burleys. You’ll like it. Not like an OTC, IMO.
This one is straight up, C&D burley art.

edit: I noticed that Jiminks detected sugars and molasses, but maybe it’s just the batch I got, but this is a rare instance where I would disagree with him. Usually, I am in full agreement with him, so…. It may just be my batch, YMMV.

Last edited:
May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I do not detect any added flavorings. The touch of Virginias adds a natural sweetness and the cavendish is unflavored and rounds out the mouthfeel, but this one is about the dance of the burleys. You’ll like it. Not like an OTC, IMO.
This one is straight up, C&D burley art.

edit: I noticed that Jiminks detected sugars and molasses, but maybe it’s just the batch I got, but this is a rare instance where I would disagree with him. Usually, I am in full agreement with him, so…. It may just be my batch, YMMV.
I’d agree completely. There is a subtle sweetness offered by the Virginia, but this blend is deliciously Burley forward. I don’t detect molasses. Just a nutty, occasional cocoa sweetness that satisfies. It’s a good one for sure. ?☕

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I’d agree completely. There is a subtle sweetness offered by the Virginia, but this blend is deliciously Burley forward. I don’t detect molasses. Just a nutty, occasional cocoa sweetness that satisfies. It’s a good one for sure. ?☕
The small amount of unsweetened cavendish, a ratio of one ounce per pound, gives creamy body to Pegasus and adds mouthfeel. It ties the sweetness of the bright and red Virginia’s together. It’s a masterful blend. The cube and ribbon cut white burley and the dark burley give it a nutty base.

Since I posted this I’ve come to love this blend. I’ve cellared six pounds, smoked & shared one pound and purchased an 8th pound on Black Friday which I’m enjoying from the bag now.

I do not plan to touch the six pounds I’ve jarred. I’ll let these age. I’ll just purchase fresh bulk as needed

Can’t wait till those jars get a few years. The race is on! Hope I’m still here.
30B12915-3DA8-4C78-8AE6-16C8E6B0E27E.jpeg

BorealPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2021
I'm enjoying some Pegasus right now on my back porch with a hot cup of coffee. I only recently tried this blend. I didn't much care for it on first try, but it has really grown on me. I think it benefits from a little time in the jar. Great "old timey" flavor and usually a one match burn. Bonus: wife loves the "beard note."

Piping Abe

Can't Leave
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
The conventional wisdom is that Burleys don’t change as much as Virginias with age. While I’ve found this to be true I’ve also found that with extended aging (10 years) Pegasus becomes even better. Better being subjective of course.

Good stuff, especially with coffee.

Any Virginia (any tobacco) that requires aging to taste good is just not worth it to begin with. Find the ones that taste delicious fresh.

Stoaks

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2023
Canton, GA, USA
Briar Fox, OJK blue, and pegasus is what I live off.
Been meaning to try Briar Fox as well, same story as above :ROFLMAO:

As a matter of fact, after all this talk of OJKB I just had to smoke some.

That deep, rich taste I get about halfway down through the end of the bowl -- like candied walnuts with holiday-ish spices or something -- just really knocks my socks off.

I promise I'll (try to) order a couple ounces of her cousins next time but it's hard for me to believe I could like them any better.

rsshreck32

Lifer
Aug 1, 2023
Western PA
Still waiting for the last remnants of COVID to die off so I can taste my beloved Pegasus again, by far my favorite American Codger blend. If you buy in bulk make sure to let it breathe in a jar for even a couple of weeks the breathing time changes it immensely.
I bought 8 oz. bulk Pegasus last month when Smoking Pipes had their bulk C&D sale. I have that separated into 3 jars with 43 days on them. I'm having a hard time not popping one open now. I thought the bulk may need a few months. Maybe I'll take your advice and pop a jar tomorrow.

Reactions: vosBghos and BenMN

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I bought 8 oz. bulk Pegasus last month when Smoking Pipes had their bulk C&D sale. I have that separated into 3 jars with 43 days on them. I'm having a hard time not popping one open now. I thought the bulk may need a few months. Maybe I'll take your advice and pop a jar tomorrow.
Yeah, I'm sure it will be great I just remember that it felt sour right out of the bag but then after a month in the jar, it got deeper nuttier sweeter.