PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I’ve no right to crack another tin with as many as I have open but the talk of Old Joe (Blue Label) edging out Pegasus by admirers of Pegasus such as @ray47 and @marconi and @cosmicfolklore now even @dog_park_piper, another voice in the wind, have pushed me over the edge! And besides, @BROBS hates C&D. —Not his Cherry-Vanilla.
It’s time.

I didn’t smoke at all yesterday, so this morning I found two half smoked cobs from the day before last. — One containing Pegasus and the other Burley Flake #2. My third Cob, dedicated to Granger, was cleaned and ready so I cracked the fresh tin and loaded that MM Country Gent with Old Joe Blue.

1B228F70-3E1B-4DF0-81B1-EB34AE36CD6D.jpeg

Coffee poured, I smoked two thirds of the Old Joe Blue with a refreshed pallet. It’s quite enjoyable! Immediately I noted a sweetness that’s more prominent than the subtle sweetness of Pegasus. Old Joe is tasty! Very tasty! I do see the similarity but it’s a blend all it’s own. I retrohale, take in the side note and put my sniffer right into the bowl. It’s very nutty! Not the sour, tannic walnut impression of Pegasus but a sweeter nuttiness that’s hard to describe. It’s very pleasant and I want more!

Setting the Old Joe Blue aside I reach for the Pegasus. One touch of flame and it’s ready. Instantly I’m rewarded with a now familiar friend. The popped corn, subtle gingersnap sweetness greets me along with that walnut hull goodness. I smell the bowl. The sour, walnut scent is there along with a little ammonia. — I pick up the Old Joe and compare. The smell from that bowl is contrastingly sweet, nutty goodness with no sourness at all and no ammonia. I just want to keep sniffing. They differ immensely. Two completely different experiences. It’s amazing how the blended proportions of the same cadre of C&D tobaccos can result in such different profiles.

I light the cob containing the Burley Flake #2. Wow! So smooth. On retro, it’s just as smooth as air and its creamy. The comparison illuminates the rougher edges of the young burley tobacco found in both Pegasus and Old Joe. Not that they’re bad. —I would classify each as mild to medium smooth. But the CD Burley Flake is far smoother. A good analogy, I suppose —would be sipping standard Jameson then immediately following up with either Jameson 12 year or RedBreast. Just that much more refined.

I finished all three, alternating frequently until what amounts to a two bowl session. I’m quite enamored by all three and quite satisfied. I experienced a mild nic hit, likely from the Old Joe and BF#2. Perhaps ? because it’s all C&D burley. Typically I feel nothing, but that’s because Granger is ever so mild and typically comprises one of my bowls if I opt to go back to back.

The verdict? I find Pegasus the most interesting of the three and with age I believe I’m going find pure bliss in the Pegasus I have cellared.

Old Joe Kranz Blue? Wonderful blend! I’ll enjoy finishing the tin. Would never turn it down if offered to me but don’t know that it differs enough from Pegasus to warrant the cellar. I do love it. But Pegasus edges it out for me. At least at this moment. Time may tell a different tale.

Burley Flake #2? Phenomenal! However, I find Pegasus more to my everyday liking. Kind of like comparing a gourmet Chicken Cordon blue to your local Crispy Sauced Chicken Wings. —I’ll want the wings far more often. It’s comfort tobacco, both Pegasus and Granger are comfort tobaccos and I like comfort. Simple pleasures.

Be very interested to hear your comments.

I’ve no right to crack another tin with as many as I have open but the talk of Old Joe (Blue Label) edging out Pegasus by admirers of Pegasus such as @ray47 and @marconi and @cosmicfolklore now even @dog_park_piper, another voice in the wind, have pushed me over the edge! And besides, @BROBS hates C&D. —Not his Cherry-Vanilla.
It’s time.

I didn’t smoke at all yesterday, so this morning I found two half smoked cobs from the day before last. — One containing Pegasus and the other Burley Flake #2. My third Cob, dedicated to Granger, was cleaned and ready so I cracked the fresh tin and loaded that MM Country Gent with Old Joe Blue.

View attachment 119118

Coffee poured, I smoked two thirds of the Old Joe Blue with a refreshed pallet. It’s quite enjoyable! Immediately I noted a sweetness that’s more prominent than the subtle sweetness of Pegasus. Old Joe is tasty! Very tasty! I do see the similarity but it’s a blend all it’s own. I retrohale, take in the side note and put my sniffer right into the bowl. It’s very nutty! Not the sour, tannic walnut impression of Pegasus but a sweeter nuttiness that’s hard to describe. It’s very pleasant and I want more!

Setting the Old Joe Blue aside I reach for the Pegasus. One touch of flame and it’s ready. Instantly I’m rewarded with a now familiar friend. The popped corn, subtle gingersnap sweetness greets me along with that walnut hull goodness. I smell the bowl. The sour, walnut scent is there along with a little ammonia. — I pick up the Old Joe and compare. The smell from that bowl is contrastingly sweet, nutty goodness with no sourness at all and no ammonia. I just want to keep sniffing. They differ immensely. Two completely different experiences. It’s amazing how the blended proportions of the same cadre of C&D tobaccos can result in such different profiles.

I light the cob containing the Burley Flake #2. Wow! So smooth. On retro, it’s just as smooth as air and its creamy. The comparison illuminates the rougher edges of the young burley tobacco found in both Pegasus and Old Joe. Not that they’re bad. —I would classify each as mild to medium smooth. But the CD Burley Flake is far smoother. A good analogy, I suppose —would be sipping standard Jameson then immediately following up with either Jameson 12 year or RedBreast. Just that much more refined.

I finished all three, alternating frequently until what amounts to a two bowl session. I’m quite enamored by all three and quite satisfied. I experienced a mild nic hit, likely from the Old Joe and BF#2. Perhaps ? because it’s all C&D burley. Typically I feel nothing, but that’s because Granger is ever so mild and typically comprises one of my bowls if I opt to go back to back.

The verdict? I find Pegasus the most interesting of the three and with age I believe I’m going find pure bliss in the Pegasus I have cellared.

Old Joe Kranz Blue? Wonderful blend! I’ll enjoy finishing the tin. Would never turn it down if offered to me but don’t know that it differs enough from Pegasus to warrant the cellar. I do love it. But Pegasus edges it out for me. At least at this moment. Time may tell a different tale.

Burley Flake #2? Phenomenal! However, I find Pegasus more to my everyday liking. Kind of like comparing a gourmet Chicken Cordon blue to your local Crispy Sauced Chicken Wings. —I’ll want the wings far more often. It’s comfort tobacco, both Pegasus and Granger are comfort tobaccos and I like comfort. Simple pleasures.

Be very interested to hear your comments.
Crap, I thought I was going to be doing battle with cob smokers. Ha ha…. It’s like insulting homeless people…. What they going to do about it, complain…. More…. Ha ha! puffy

Believe it or not, I’ve never had Old Joe Krantz. So, I got no bone in this. Pegasus is great though.

Funny, when I first got into Virginias, someone listed Pegasus in with a bunch of others to try. So, I picked up three pounds. On first try, expecting a Virginia sweetness, I was disappointed, but I let the jars ride in the cellar. Then when I came to really like burleys, someone had rec’d it to me…. And, I was like “oh yeh” I have a bunch of that…. and aged.

OJK…. I just haven’t gotten around to it.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Wow great write up! What's the difference between Old Joe Blue and Old Joe Crampz? Old Joe Crapz regular and Pegasus are two of my favs.

• Haha
Reactions: Grangerous