PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
I am thinking of buying some Pegasus in bulk... for now it is my goto burley based blend.

To date I have only bought tins of it. Has anyone found any difference in the bulk version in comparison with the tin?

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I’ve never had the tinned incarnation, but have smoked quite a bit of the bulk. It’s one of my favorite burleys. Don’t know if that helps as I can’t compare them, other than to say I am in no way dissatisfied with the bulk :)

Good luck and please let us know what you find out!

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
I came at Pegasus after smoking Carter Hall and Prince Albert in my very early piping experiences. I kind of went off of Prince Albert, but kept Carter Hall around for a simple, easy smoke from time to time. Pegasus for me is the same experience, but a notch up. Still easy to smoke, very predictable, yet solid enough to keep your attention a bit more.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Given the opportunity to buy tinned or bulk, I buy bulk. Picked up several pounds of this 6 years ago from SPC during a C&D sale. Considering burley doesn't change much in aging, I wouldn't think there would be a big difference in the tinned version.

JR1296

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2019
Mississippi
I am thinking of buying some Pegasus in bulk... for now it is my goto burley based blend.

To date I have only bought tins of it. Has anyone found any difference in the bulk version in comparison with the tin?
The only thing I've ever noticed with bulk is the quality. It might have bigger chunks of tobacco and more stems.

I will have to admit, I have cracked quite a few C&D jokes over the years. At first, I was appalled by some of their tobaccos. Their Virginias, especially, but after revisiting tins and jars that I had first been grossed out by, I found that I started to "understand" them, for lack of a better word.

Their burleys tend to age very well, especially since they usually have a Virginia component that steps forward as it ages. And, the strength steps up notches with age as well. And, Their Virginias... after growing and experimenting for six or so years with flue curing, I now understand a tad more what is going on with their Virginia blends.

But, I am not saying that I don't enjoy a good C&D crack, but their blends are slowly starting to make up more of my cellar than any other... especially as I smoke the shit out of the McClellands that I have stowed back, ha ha.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I really should give some more of their tobaccos a fair crack.
I just am not a fan of tobacco that you have to baby or age to be good.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm just getting used to seeing C&D as the goat among blenders. I was pretty thrilled, back in their Morganton, N.C. days to discover a blender that did serious work with burley. Back then people were pretty snooty about burley, and this seemed like a true insight and breakthrough. I certainly haven't babied their blends, and never knew anyone was suggesting that I do. I think Billy Budd, Old Joe Krantz, Stratfordshire, and many other of their blends are fine examples of the art. I think Jeremy has done good work in S.C. advancing and developing the brand. I'm not cheerleading, but I've had good experiences with them. My first go-around with Bayou Night found it pretty harsh, but a second order a few years later revised my opinion and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Give them a chance; if you don't like it you don't like it, but there's much to like on the menu.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
@mso489, we need to start a Stratfordshire Fan Club! I don’t see it mentioned often (or I miss it — entirely possible), but what a blend!

To me it’s a spot-on ‘medium’ English. I’ve got 5-6 pounds of it. Some days I darn near smoke it constantly. Other days it beats me up after a couple bowls, but I do love it.

Sorry for the tangent, @docrameous!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I just am not a fan of tobacco that you have to baby or age to be good.
I've yet to find a tobacco that needs aging or any more care than loading and lighting it.

I'm just getting used to seeing C&D as the goat among blenders.
That's a good thing. They'll be available when you want them. Craig Tarler was and remains my favorite blender and a number of his blends are always in stock.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
diamondback, Stratfordshire is a well-rounded English to me, and I like Tuggle Hall too. Craig Tarler was an independent thinker among blenders and broke a lot of new ground as I see it. I really like the way cigar leaf is used in Billy Budd.

Reactions: Bengel
Status
Not open for further replies.