Peak Irony: Old Codger Johnny Rotten Says, "Get Off My Lawn"!!!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
LA is a microcosm of what's happening to planet Earth in its entirety.
The have-not hordes have discovered guilt is a powerful thing, social media is a fantastically efficient way to spread it, and politicians are easy pickings because of social media.
The bloody part is just beginning.

Taxes do not pay for missions which are paid for by the churches. There are very few (if any) that are paid for by your taxes. They have tagged job requirements on housing, food stamps and all other government services.

You taxes pay for WalMart employees to be able to afford to stay alive.
And, only a small percentage of homeless want anything from you. Only a percentage wants anyone to do anything for them. And, you always have the option to keep walking.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Taxes do not pay for missions which are paid for by the churches. There are very few (if any) that are paid for by your taxes. They have tagged job requirements on housing, food stamps and all other government services.

You taxes pay for WalMart employees to be able to afford to stay alive.
And, only a small percentage of homeless want anything from you. Only a percentage wants anyone to do anything for them. And, you always have the option to keep walking.
You haven't been paying attention to what's happening in big cities.

Mar 1, 2014
There are billions of people infinitely worse off than any “homeless” person in western civilization. You don’t have to buy drugs for the guy on the street corner just quench your conscience.

Meals for kids is another subject entirely of course. It doesn’t take much thought to find ways of being charitable that doesn’t promote the disintegration of law and order.

International aide can easily become another avenue of abused generosity, but again don’t donate frivolously, you’re spending your money, do the research.

I'd have to agree with that. Are there city taxes that they waste on trying to house these guys?

In The South, the only things for homeless are done through the churches. Birmingham has a few homeless folks. The two weeks out of the year that it gets cold, they let them stay in city buildings for the night.

But, there are no federal plans for the absolute homeless.
If there are local taxes... Eh, there are MANY MANY reasons for me not to live in a big city. This would just be a small reason. I'd rather not live than have to live in a big city.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
LA is a microcosm of what's happening to planet Earth in its entirety.
The have-not hordes have discovered guilt is a powerful thing, social media is a fantastically efficient way to spread it, and politicians are easy pickings because of social media.
Regardless of what anyone believes about the causes or the solutions to all of this, if it continues at the rate and in the manner that is now in some of these cities, it is very likely to get really ugly in the near future.
EDIT: not that it isn't ugly enough already...SF CA being the prime example.
EDIT: also, if it continues to be managed...and to some degree engineered...in the manner that it is now.
Problem + Reaction = Solution
A lot can be accomplished by creating crises that cannot be done otherwise.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016

It's going to get uglier than most can imagine.
There is no world to "save." The world will go on just fine when we're all gone.
Mr. Lydon's beach? That's his problem.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Offer that they will get fed at the end of each work shift, and nothing else. That should clear them out.

greatdane

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2018
I volunteered for a Christian charity some years ago in downtown Chicago. A night every week we would walk around giving out cards to "homeless" people begging on the street for money. The cards provided addresses of places in the city where they could get a free hot meal and a safe place to sleep. Hardly anyone was interested.
Speaking of California, my first impression of that state on a trip in the 1980s was very positive. Then, after a 30 year hiatus, I visited CA again on business and was truly shocked of the decay that had taken place in those 30 years. Human waste everywhere, homeless tent cities along freeways, etc.
Be careful who you vote for.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
"Fifty years ago, if you wanted to lead what was then called 'the life if the mind,' meaning to be an intellectual, to live by your wits, you had to work in a university. The society at large had no place for you. A few newspaper reporters, a few magazine journalists could be considered living by their wits, but that was about it. Universities attracted those who willingly gave up worldly goods to live a cloistered intellectual life, teaching timeless values to the younger generations. Intellectual work was the exclusive province of the university.
But, today, whole sectors of society live the life of the mind. Our entire economy is based on intellectual work, now. Thirty-six per cent of workers are knowledge workers. That's more than are employed in manufacturing. And, when professors decided they would no longer teach young people, but leave that task to their graduate students who knew much less than they did and spoke English poorly -- when that happened, the universities were thrown into crisis. What good were they anymore? They had lost their exclusive hold on the life of the mind. They no longer taught the young. Only so many theoretical texts on the semiotics of Foucault could be published in any single year. What was to become of our universities? What relevance did they have in the modern era?...
...What happened is the universities transformed themselves in the 1980s. Formerly bastions of intellectual freedom in a world of Babbitry, formerly the locus of sexual freedom and experimentation, they now became the most restrictive environments in modern society. Because they had a new role to play. They became the creators of new fears for the PLM (politico-legal-media complex). Universites today are factories of fear. They invent all the new terrors and all the new social anxieties. All the new restrictive codes. Words you can't say. Thoughts you can't think. They produce a steady stream of new anxieties, dangers, and social terrors to be used by politicians, lawyers, and reporters. Foods that are bad for you. Behaviors that are unacceptable. Can't smoke, can't swear, can't screw, can't think. These institutions have been stood on their heads in a generation. It is really quite extraordinary.
The modern State of Fear could never exist without universities feeding it. There is a peculiar neo-Stalinist mode of thought that is required to support all of this, and it can only thrive in a restrictive setting, behind closed doors, without due process. In our society, only universities have created that - so far. The notion that these institutions are liberal is a cruel joke. They are fascist to the core."

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
^ And the icing on the cake: the inmates students get to take on a lifetime of debt for the privilege of being mind-controlled educated in one of these asylums institutions...to obtain a "degree" that will likely not get them anywhere these days.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Three distinct problems: Public beaches in urban California; Johnny R.'s need to sell his house at enough of a profit to move someplace with residential privacy; and Johnny R.'s character. No special insight on those. I never suspected johnny of being a social worker, so any help from him is improbable.

Aug 1, 2012
Oh goody, we get another political thread. Never mind the original post, we just want to find another way to break the rules here. My prediction, this thread will go on for a bit longer as it doesn't violate any mods' political views...yet. You will never know my political views as I do not feel they have a place here. Let the mocking commence.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Most people are lazy if given the chance. I prefer not to have them be lazy on my dime. Take away the soft pillow under their head and it's amazing the motivation that they get when they are hungry.
We have people in this country that truly cannot take care of themselves because of mental and physical problems. We don't take care of them, and they actually need the assistance.
It's the same mentality that has given us PC, Universities that teach puppies and rainbows and identity politics. HTFU

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Political thread? Nawww...

More a sociological study demonstrating the importance of unsubstantiated opinions over expertise. Now, if you need surgery you just make an appointment with your barber to have yourself bled. Mass cultural lobotomization is comforting and popular. Try it today.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
" Never mind the original post,"
Yeah, Brian seems pretty torn up about how his thread has been hijacked. :roll:
"...unsubstantiated opinions..."
Hey Jesse, I noticed you spelled "opinions that are not my own" wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.