PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I dont think you can do Friends and family across different regions.i tried to send to Al (ss jones)and couldnt.
I have had paypal put a hold on funds when selling if it is an unusual amount for your normal transactions.
I sold a few S Bang pipes for more money than my usual 100-150 transactions.
It was released once the delivery was confirmed.One of them I had to push to get it released as the tracking had not updated to delivered.Once I sent the confirmation from the buyer all was good

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Oh. I am looking for info on payment from China to US. Thanks though.

I, too, have had Chinese members contact me to buy some of the stuff I was selling. I ended up balking because the risk seemed to outweigh the reward. Obviously not the case 100% of the time, but I was told they can’t use FF and that it isn’t uncommon for the package to get “lost,” in which case the buyer is refunded his/her money and you’re out your money and tobacco.

To be fair, a bit of my uneasiness stemmed from being contacted by a member in China who insisted I sent it to some one in New York, and then changed his mind and told me he, himself, was actually in California and now wanted it sent there, even though all of his email messages had time stamps from a time zone (presumably) in Asia. There were just too many variables and changing stories for me to feel comfortable about it.

Coincidentally, I ended up sending mine to Pipestud who promptly sold it to Chinese buyers.
I’d wager it’s safe more often than not, but I was selling about $1,000 worth of tobacco and just didn’t want to take the risk. Paid for it with Pipestud’s commission, but felt better about it in the end.

If you aren’t in any kind of hurry, eventually folks will show up from the nosebleeds, usually a couple of months after you’ve posted the ad, asking if it’s still available...

Regardless of how you proceed, I’d love to hear the outcome.

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Take USDC - or some other USD stable coin that both of you can work in, & then you can flip it to US dollars, or do whatever you want with it.
:col: ?

Reactions: rushx9 and BROBS

Gus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I have sold tobacco (from Spain) to China and charged by Paypal without problems.

I would recommend that you make sure that the buyer assumes the risks of customs, I have sold a dozen times and twice customs retained the order and seized it and not delivered to the buyer, it is destroyed.

The first time I assumed the expense, it was about 200 USD and I lost the money and the tobacco.

After that, I made sure that the buyers sent me an email where they were responsible for the possible seizure by customs and they would assume the loss.

When the second package was lost, about 400 USD, Paypal claimed me the money, so I would lose the tobacco and the almost 400 USD, with this email in which the buyer assumed the risks of the import, make sure not to put any word of tobacco in the email, Paypal accepted it and informed the buyer that I should keep the money.

After this second time, I never sold anything to China again.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I have sold tobacco (from Spain) to China and charged by Paypal without problems.

I would recommend that you make sure that the buyer assumes the risks of customs, I have sold a dozen times and twice customs retained the order and seized it and not delivered to the buyer, it is destroyed.

The first time I assumed the expense, it was about 200 USD and I lost the money and the tobacco.

After that, I made sure that the buyers sent me an email where they were responsible for the possible seizure by customs and they would assume the loss.

When the second package was lost, about 400 USD, Paypal claimed me the money, so I would lose the tobacco and the almost 400 USD, with this email in which the buyer assumed the risks of the import, make sure not to put any word of tobacco in the email, Paypal accepted it and informed the buyer that I should keep the money.

After this second time, I never sold anything to China again.
Thank you Gus. This is very helpful.

Reactions: BROBS and Gus

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Thank you Gus. This is very helpful.

It’s also worth pointing out, as Gus has mentioned, that you can’t mention tobacco or PayPal will freeze your account. But, since you have to use goods and services, what do you do? Assuming things go south, they may start investigating and requiring documentation, receipts, etc. I’m probably overstating the depth of their involvement because I truly don’t know. That was just another element that made me kinda iffy on the whole process, ultimately resulting in my decision to forego.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
It’s also worth pointing out, as Gus has mentioned, that you can’t mention tobacco or PayPal will freeze your account. But, since you have to use goods and services, what do you do? Assuming things go south, they may start investigating and requiring documentation, receipts, etc. I’m probably overstating the depth of their involvement because I truly don’t know. That was just another element that made me kinda iffy on the whole process, ultimately resulting in my decision to forego.
Thanks BP. I’m on the fence. Seems there should be another way.

Reactions: BarrelProof

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Done it a few times and still do with China, they do not have the FF option so don't let that freak you out. Especially if you are shipping it to a U.S. address.

Reactions: ofafeather

Gus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I believe that the problem is not to receive the money, the problem is the Chinese customs that is very severe, if they see the product (I suppose tobacco) they will confiscate it and the buyer can claim the amount to Paypal if he does not receive the shipment, so, the one who sends, loses the tobacco and the money.

The best thing to do is to make sure that the buyer sends an email taking responsibility and assuming the costs if the package is confiscated by customs. make sure that he/she is aware of the possible loss of the shipment.

In Spain they do not confiscate it, they send it to you after payment of the corresponding taxes because it is not illegal to buy tobacco online internationally, in China it is illegal. to
In my personal experience it is the best, I already commented that in one occasion I lost the sale and the tobacco, the second time I did not.

Status
Not open for further replies.