Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Venmo is owned by PayPal so I wouldn’t count on that as a long term solution even if you were to get past the initial concerns of using Venmo mentioned above.

Reactions: BROBS
I don't make pipes, but I use my bank, Regions as my POS with a card swiper, especially at festivals. I was at an art show this weekend and three weeks before, i tested my swiper, as I always do, running my wife's card for $.010. It worked. I got to the art show, and the swiper no longer worked. I called my bank, and they had noticed suspicious activity, and due to covid, they shut down my account. They cited that it could be operational in three weeks. UGGGG!!!
I could only accept cash or use my paypal, sending invoices... needless to say I had people turning away at the close of the deal. :eek:( I barely made my booth fee back.

I suggest contacting your bank about setting up a POS system. You can either use the swiper or type in CC info. Sometimes you can get a deal on the % if you've been a long time customer.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Being an atavistic old codger has its advantages, and I have been allergic to Paypal since hearing about it. So no money from this old codger for them. Now I have a principled issue instead of just a "get off my lawn" response. When selling on Forums, at least consider accepting a check, if it is understood the check has to be negotiated before the item is sent. I know checks are an ancient form of financial transaction, but not all bad.

tozert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2017
Cornwall
Thank you for all the thoughtful replies, and encouragement. I have to accept the fact that as of Monday, I won't be able to use Paypal or any other merchant gateway offered by Shopify in order to run my website. I'll have to go back to the old school way of people having to email me with what they want, and setting up TransferWise for payments. I'm going to do this as long as it takes to clear my stock, and then I'm shutting the whole thing down. I have about 40 of my own pipes on the bench that need finishing up, and that will be the last of Larrysson and Paulsson Pipes.

All things change. I'm a little sad but not mad at the situation. I have a beautiful workshop that can be converted into an even more beautiful space for my Psychotherapy practice. This has been the writing on the wall so to speak, which tells me its time to move on.

eugenepark

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2018
Oklahoma
The earlier suggestions that you rebrand your business as for marijuana probably have some merit. Tobacco has been demonized to the point where we are today, but for whatever reason marijuana is seen as the savior of humanity.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Sorry to hear they've caught you ☹️
Thanks for the baccy and the clay pipe.
I tried smoking the large clay pipe but it kept going out and I couldn't get my fire ? going or keep it lit; I guess I'd need a blowtorch to light it properly!
Decided not to buy any more pipeweed until I start going to battle re-enactment again when the Covid19 pandemic has passed.
Can't do socially distanced shield walls or soldier's drill!
When I go to the Co-op to post my parcels I don't take any money with me to make sure I don't buy any pipeweed!
Once I've smoked my Samuel Gawith I'm leaving my clay pipes until re-enactments start again (hopefully next year).

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
The earlier suggestions that you rebrand your business as for marijuana probably have some merit. Tobacco has been demonized to the point where we are today, but for whatever reason marijuana is seen as the savior of humanity.
I think it that cannabis (the UK word for marijuana) should be a prescription drug but not over the counter, both for medical use and prescribed to addicts in the way methadone is for heroin.
Might increase driving under influence though:)

Reactions: jpmcwjr

tozert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2017
Cornwall
That would be true...but paypal is restricting my account. I'll still be able to use it to make payments, but not to receive payments. My son Isaac is graciously giving me access to his PP account, so I can still use ebay, but I won't be using it to run my web store, as I don't want to damage his account in any way.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A postal clerk once was alarmed when I innocently said I was sending tobacco (a sample to a friend), but he checked with the postmaster in charge who said it was fine. It shows once an category is vilified, people think it is verboten.

Status
Not open for further replies.