PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
My wife and I went for a little Valentine's Day get away to Lake Orion Michigan a couple weekends ago. We live in Amherstburg Ontario, just across the border from Detroit so this was nice and close. I've been working crazy hours since Christmas so we haven't had a lot of time to spend together. We did a bit of shopping and dining out and just had a nice relaxing time together. We hit up Great Lakes Crossing (yeah Bass Pro!!) and some other shops in the area. We also visited many of the smoke shops in the area to see what we could find. Found a few goodies at these places but they really didn't cater to the pipe smoker. Did manage to find a few value priced pipes and odds and ends. On our last day there we decided to take the short drive north to Flint in order to visit Paul's Pipe Shop. This was well worth the half hour drive for sure!!
Stepping thru the front door of Paul's was like stepping back in time. Wall to wall racks of pipes, tobacco and smoking accessories greeted us when we entered the store. It was almost PAD/TAD overload. Paul himself was there and so was a friendly and helpful young lady who I believe was his daughter. We browsed around at the numerous racks of pipes and accessories and I eventually was captivated buy the beautiful old wood display cabinets displaying the many Cayuga pipes. There were so many beautiful Cayuga pipes in many different shapes and sizes. I went back and forth many times but kept going back to this one Canadian that caught my eye. I ended up buying this pipe, another Zippo pipe lighter and some cleaning accessories. I didn't end up buying any tobacco because I was looking for particular tins that he did not have in stock. I was however given two free 2 ounce bags of tobacco that the young lady thought I would enjoy. One was there blend of the month, World Champion Winner, a dark Cavendish based blend that smells lovely and tastes just as good. The other was Arrowhead Pipe Club Blend that she explained was there "crack" blend that everyone loves and can't get enough of. True to her words it too is a delicious blend that also smells and tastes fabulous. Unfortunately I don't know what the contents of this blend is but I will be buying a large quantity of it when I go back in May.
My wife stumbled upon some nice little pipe shaped tie tacks and wanted to purchase a couple for me. She chose a couple that I liked and Paul was nice enough to throw in a third pin for free, A very nice gesture indeed! Right now all three are displayed in my pipe cabinet but I do plan to put one on my Fedora in the near future.
All in all this was an excellent visit to a very cool pipe shop and my wife and I were both treated very well while we were there. As mentioned earlier I will definitely return there to do business in the future. Unfortunately I didn't know there was a pipe museum there as well so we didn't get to go through that. We will be sure to check that out when we go back in May.
The front of the store:

Inside the shop:

My new pipe and goodies:

My weekend PAD haul:

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
Ugh, I just heard about this place! It looks awesome. Thank you for taking pictures! I have to wait until summer before I can make the trip but I'm excited nonetheless. It definitely looks like an experience and I'm lovin' your weekend haul. Very cool. :D

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Paul's is a legendary Pipe Shop and has been written up many times.
I am surprised you met Paul since he passed away last year at age 100.
Really nice pictures. Hope to see more from the museum when you go back.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
@ kcghost: OOPS!! :oops: Thanks for correcting me on that. I should have said we met Dan, Paul's son. Sorry for the error.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Jkrug:
Thank you for the pictures. I've been wanting some pipe tie tacks and will be calling their shop tomorrow.
Congratulations on a successful trip!
Fnord

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Fnord, they had a few available to choose from. I hope they are able to help you find the one you want.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
I end up there about once a month it seems. Normally When I'm up there its slow so I can pick Dan's brain a bit on repairs or weird things I may come across that I know nothing about. I've bought a few of their blends too. The C.S. Mott blend is one of my favorites. One of these trips I figure a cuyuga will come home with me.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
gambit88 I will have to get a sample of that blend next time I am there and give it a try.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
Its an English blend i believe but its not on the shelf right now (or wasnt the last time i was there) so you have to ask for it. The cool thing about pauls is they have a lot of new old stock stock pipes.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Paul's is legendary. As I mentioned here, our Detroit group went up there last month. Sparrowhawk went nuts. :D There aren't many pipe shops like this any more, if nothing else simply because of the size of the place. I'm now up to three Cayugas,all of which I enjoy. And his Arrowhead mixture is a true winner. I guess it's a crossover English - it's got some lat, and some perique (although not much), and may be lightly topped.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Jud I read your thread about your pipe club's trip to Paul's.

Sounds like you guys had a great time there for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.