SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Recent Posts

warren

Preferred Member
Sep 13, 2013
The horrendous end to a life lived fully.

Edited by jvnshr: Title

Last edited by a moderator:

warren

Preferred Member
Sep 13, 2013
If you don't live in Wisconsin the reference would probably be meaningless and of no interest. His time was the Lombardi years. Probably too arcane a reference for anyone under 60, even if they are NFL fans.

Reactions: bnichols23

warren

Preferred Member
Sep 13, 2013
Wished you hadn't, now everybody will be posting comments, on topic or not. But, you do have a job to do and I understand. These eulogy type posts tend to go sideways quickly.

Reactions: jvnshr

warren

Preferred Member
Sep 13, 2013
You missed a "oner." Starr, Taylor, Horning, the whole bunch all centered on Lombardi. They put a small town with a publicly owned team on the map. I had to watch on tape delay up here in Alaska back then.

Horning lived large, made big mistakes in life as most of us have and enjoyed a long life only to be cut down by an insidious illness. RIP!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I was just a little boy when he played for the Packers, but my dad was a lifelong Packers fan and talked about him and Bart Starr frequently. Bart Starr had a similar end to his life, sad.

mso489

Preferred Member
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not a devoted football fan though I've seen some great games and especially Super Bowls, but I remember him. Dementia hits a lot of people who never played sports, but you always think of that as a potential factor. Banging the "circuitry" against the cranium takes a toll. He did pretty well with longevity, though under the circumstances, that may have been a hardship.