PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
So I tried to register at "The Pipe Guys."
As usual, I was sent a one-time password upon registering, then invited to re-set the password.
I selected a password with 10 characters, including a capital letter, a number and a punctuation mark.
No joy.
Notice said the password was "too weak" and wouldn't let me adopt it.
Look, I do not want to access the nuclear launch codes. I want to patronize your site to possibly buy pipes and or tobacco. I do not want to try to remember the random password you sent me. I want to select a password that is reasonable secure from intrusion, but that I have some chance of remembering at my advanced years. This is what is known as a barrier to trade and I think I'll pass.
Sigh.

Tell me about it. The gas company, water company and my credit cards are way more concerned about my security than me. All that can be done from these sites is to pay my bill. All of the important numbers are ****'ed out, so what's the big deal? If anyone would like to break into one of my accounts and pay my bills, please feel free. Sometimes I think these web designers think way too much of themselves.

And, my god, Facebook has the most insane security measures. If they don't have your phone number on file, you have to send a picture of yourself to their email address. Like I give a flip if someone breaks into my Facebook and makes posts, ha ha. idiots!

My bank is about the only account I think should have a password. The rest should just run on the honor system.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This is all due to data regulations call PCI compliancy. Anywhere that uses a credit card for payment will be under this type of scrutiny it's going to get worse

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yep, and also why Boswells doesn't have a web orderline either. Briar Blues has a similar system.
I've dealt with these new PCI regulations in the restaurant and hotel industry with our point-of-sales for several years now. Each year stricter, more complicated regulations are put in place, in the hopes of staying one half-step ahead of hackers.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Sorry about the frustration but your dilemma reminded me of this joke:
Today I opened a new email account. I always use the same password, "cabbage". It's easy to remember but it seems the computer had other plans...
Please enter your new password:
"cabbage"
Sorry, the password must be more than 8 characters.
"boiled cabbage"
Sorry, the password must contain 1 numerical character.
"1 boiled cabbage"
Sorry, the password cannot have blank spaces.
"50bloodyboiledcabbages"
Sorry, the password must contain at least one upper case character.
"50BLOODYboiledcabbages"
Sorry, the password cannot use more than one upper case character consecutively.

"50BloodyBoiledCabbagesShovedUpYourArse,

IfYouDon'tGiveMeAccessnow”
Sorry, the password cannot contain punctuation.
“ReallyPissedOff50BloodyBoiledCabbagesShovedUpYourArseIf

YouDontGiveMeAccessnow”
Sorry, that password is already in use.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
Yep, and also why Boswells doesn't have a web orderline either.
I believe Boswell's does indeed now have online ordering. They recently retooled their site. It's pretty nice. Of course you can still call and place orders too.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Al, probably why McCranie's doesn't use CC. They send you the goods with an invoice you mail back with a check.
That's wild, usually you'd send the check, then they'd ship you the goods.

Mar 1, 2014
Sorry, the password cannot contain punctuation.
This is the one that gets me going.

I have a system of extremely good passwords, regularly 20 digits long, but companies that use character limits are working against me. Unfortunately for the longest time one of those companies was Microsoft with a 16 character limit on Hotmail accounts.

I'm pretty sure Microsoft changed their limit now but it's frustrating to see some of the companies that you rely on most making it hard for users.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I have so many different passwords that i had to create a list of them using a old manual (it doesn't use electricity) typewriter (a device used to transfer letters to paper by striking an inked ribbon) for security purposes. That way if I forget a password, I just have to remember where I hid the list.
The only problem is those websites - like my credit union - where your password is only good for six months. Then I have to type the damn list again.

Status
Not open for further replies.