PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I owned three of those. One my live aunt gave me and the other from my deceased gma.

The difference was 15 years. The one from my aunt was used weekly, but it wasn’t big enough for a family of 7. So I bought another at a yard sale for $15.

The one my gma had just sat and sat. My two churned and burned.

By the time my gma passed and I was gifted hers, it almost immediately transferred to my kids with the other two.

They have them when they need them. They are tools after all.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
View attachment 168533
No more big no more big meals, too heavy for wife, giving daughter our cherished Magnalite, time to give, not wait till we are gone.
Wonderful gifts ; wonderful designed pots too ! Aluminium ?
Is it safe to use alu. for cooking ?
I do recall it being somewhat controversial this end of the world, but I really love these huge pots.

Reactions: mawnansmiff
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
THAT is some serious heavy duty cookware! My mother's cast iron stuff went to my sister. You can do some serious damage, either through bad cooking or through forceful bodily contact, with one of those.
Our Staub cast iron pots weigh a ton . I have to drag them out of the cellar, my friend mostly does the cooking . Belgian meatloaf in a beer and chigory sauce is one of my very few specialities.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Wonderful gifts ; wonderful designed pots too ! Aluminium ?
Is it safe to use alu. for cooking ?
I do recall it being somewhat controversial this end of the world, but I really love these huge pots.
In the ’60s and ’70s, there was a suspected link between cooking with aluminum and Alzheimer’s, but, there has been no firm evidence—even the Alzheimer’s Association considers it a myth these days.

Susan errs on the side of caution and doesn’t use pots made of aluminum. I have a thick aluminum pot that my family used for rice for many years—it’s perfect for making a crunchy crust of rice called “noong” (considered a delicacy of sorts, in Chinese and Dominican cultures, maybe others), but, we don’t use it.

Cool looking pot set!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Smart. You'll enjoy visiting these when your daughter cooks meals for the extended family. Three households have collapsed into our one house, and we would do well to unload literally tons of items we think of as too loved to unload. We sometimes can't find the items we do use.

My sister-in-law mucked up her back unloading tons of accumulated goods from her parents' attic after they were gone. Her mom was forever asking her husband to pack another piece of furniture or box of household goods into the attic.

Sparing down possessions should be a lifelong activity ... I tell myself. Too much "stuff" can be as disabling as too little.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
In the ’60s and ’70s, there was a suspected link between cooking with aluminum and Alzheimer’s, but, there has been no firm evidence—even the Alzheimer’s Association considers it a myth these days.

Susan errs on the side of caution and doesn’t use pots made of aluminum. I have a thick aluminum pot that my family used for rice for many years—it’s perfect for making a crunchy crust of rice called “noong” (considered a delicacy of sorts, in Chinese and Dominican cultures, maybe others), but, we don’t use it.

Cool looking pot set!
at the same time lots of people also said Aluminum wasn't a real metal but one made out of weird science in a lab. Because there is no way that it's something that could have been mined and processed.

Reactions: kurtbob

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
When the stories about aluminium pots & pans being dangerous to health were abounding, thousands of folk over here ditched their much loved 'ali' pots and bought stainless steel pots & pans.

Methinks those stories were fabricated by the 'Stainless Steel Saucepan Company' of Shinypotsville somewhere in the far east ;) .

Regards,

Jay.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
When the stories about aluminium pots & pans being dangerous to health were abounding, thousands of folk over here ditched their much loved 'ali' pots and bought stainless steel pots & pans.
We did exactly that on my wife's insistence. :rolleyes:

We never had a microwave either because of the stories of microwaves causing kitchen explosions or frying your brain cells/testicles/whatever cray
Our Staub cast iron pots weigh a ton .
It pays to have a good chiropractor on call, if cooking up a large family meal 😁

• Haha
Reactions: mawnansmiff