PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Scarlet claw

Can't Leave
Mar 9, 2020
Got this for 5 pounds. there was no mention of parker in the sellers title. the stem was on upside down, i had no idea what pipe it was just took a gamble on it because i liked the shape. i have been looking for the right one to put in my rack. (i made in 20 mins out of balsa wood lol) so i was well pleased that it was a perfect fit to finsh of that rack.IMG_20200713_213258.jpgIMG_20200713_213445.jpg

Scarlet claw

Can't Leave
Mar 9, 2020
Parker makes a good pipe. The brand is owned by Dunhill, but it is its own brand. I've had a compact Parker cherrywood shape briar that I have enjoyed for years.
i have always enjoed a parker pipe i have yet to have a bad one. for me i have looked at basil rathbones pipe which they say is a Dunhill or maybe a parker or who knows what. but for me i reckon its a parkerIMG_20200713_215759.jpg
Left parker right Dunhill 120

Ziggywm

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
Fargo, ND
i have always enjoed a parker pipe i have yet to have a bad one. for me i have looked at basil rathbones pipe which they say is a Dunhill or maybe a parker or who knows what. but for me i reckon its a parkerView attachment 36199
Left parker right Dunhill 120
I just posted pictures of my Parker Golden Bark 189. Like you I am a SH fan and convinced Rathbone's pipe us a Parker and my Parker was going to be a 120 until it was graded a second. Interested to know what you know. Thanks.

Ziggywm

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
Fargo, ND
I have a Parker Lovat (that’s pronounced love it by the way, named after Lord Lovat ???????) Excellent smoking pipe, bought mine from the Pipe Shop Edinburgh. It’s my only B&M and about an hours drive from my home.
Enjoy ?
Ettrick puffer
I love Edinburgh, been there many times. I'm always focused on scotch while there, however. My next visit, post-Covid, I will have to check out the Pipe Shop. Is that it's name? I have such wonderful memories of your city, especially the year before my wife passed away in 2017.

Reactions: BROBS
Jul 3, 2020
Scottish Borders
I love Edinburgh, been there many times. I'm always focused on scotch while there, however. My next visit, post-Covid, I will have to check out the Pipe Shop. Is that it's name? I have such wonderful memories of your city, especially the year before my wife passed away in 2017.
Hi
Yes if you google “the pipe shop Edinburgh” it will come up as “the pipe shop” it’s the one with the picture of a chap in a cap smoking a pipe. I too am looking forward to being able to visit them in the flesh as they are online order only just now due to COVID restrictions. I remember as a young boy any visit to Edinburgh with my father meant a visit to the shop and I loved the aroma.
Happy puffing
Ettrick puffer

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I cannot read it (too fuzzy) but see below. (for good macro pix, use a camera phone, zoomed in, no flash, under a good light)
Like Dunhill, Parker pipes are date stamped, but differently than Dunhill. The Parker date code always followed the MADE IN LONDON over ENGLAND stamping. The first year's pipes (1923) had no date code; from 1924 on it ran consecutively from 1 to 19. There is no indication of a date code for the war years.

Ziggywm

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
Fargo, ND
I cannot read it (too fuzzy) but see below. (for good macro pix, use a camera phone, zoomed in, no flash, under a good light)
My #189 has no date code. That must put it in 1923 or the war years. The old Brit I bought it from in the early 70s was a WW1 vet, so perhaps 23. Then again, he lived thru WW2, so could be 40s. Some things will never be known for certain. Thanks for the information.