PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
well, if you had to choose between those highlighted equally priced medium price range pipes which one you'd go for

my understainding is (and based on appearence and finishing of Parker Bruyere serie)that they are made today either in France or Italy,most probably in France cause those come equipped with that removable stringer insert´,and bite button is a bit clumsy a la way francaise, additionally some reviewers are saying Parker pipes have narrower draw and more restricted airflow than Petersons do,this again refers to fact Parker pipes are today being made somewhere in France,nonetheless briar itself on Parkers seem brigther and less stained than those of Peterson Arans,yet bowls may have also a laquier coating in some degree. Thanks for your thoughts.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have been lucky with Petersons and have never had cause to complain, as apparently too many have. So I'd go with the Pete. I like Parker pipes, but they don't sell as many, at least not in the U.S., so I don't have as much confidence in them, Pete's q.c. problems not withstanding. Petes are uniformly appealing, if you like that hefty stalwart look (I do), and when you get a good one, it's a keeper for sure.

dkaye201

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
I love my 7 Parkers. I have enjoyed Petes for years, but I always come back to Parker.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Thanks for your thoughts,as Mso489 I like very much that distinctive Peterson looks and design, I have this Peteron 90 S Aran

which is starting getting on my nerves due to constant gurgling issues similarly to model called Peterson Dry system pipes mortises of which do tend to accumulate moisture similarly to this 80S bent bulldog due to bowls drilling/draft hole which goes upwards , so I thought If I'm gonna giving a try for a brand new Parker , let wait and see into what this turns again,

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Paul, I personally would go for a Parker over a Peterson any day. Better quality, less or no fills and of course not dip stained.
Should be cheaper too so what's not to like?
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've stuck with the non-system Petersons with fishtail stems, and this has worked out well for me. I also have a fine little Parker cherrywood shape poker that I like a lot, but ironically for this discussion, it had stain in the shank that came off on pipe cleaners for about two years. A nifty smoker, light weight and open draw, and a sitter too. But I'd still vote for the Peterson given your choice.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Jay and Mso489, Thank you for your input in this, well in past had two of those system pipes,while the older smaller one was seemingly of a better quality in comparition with the newer similar one,(which finishing was to a degree so horrible I had to sent it back to the seller)both those were bad gurglers,so when it comes to contemporary medium price range Petersons

it is highly recommended to inspect them throughly prior to first smoke, but I still do love Peterson pipes especially these older ones,primarly for their design and sturdiness, Now I decided to give a shot in dark and got me a Parker Bruyere Bent Bulldog for 50 english pound,after all not so a big deal,and definitely will report back here what it was alike,

Finally I'm coming to conclusion that today it may be better solution to get restored estates than medium priced ($50-80)newer ones,in my opinion,after multiple quality related dissapointments any descent newer pipes starts at$ 85 and on,except for perhaps Blakemar briars or some rare French /Italian make,

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Paul, you could buy a James Upshall bark bent Dublin freehand for £85, a 1990’s size 6 James Upshall sandblasted barrel freehand for the same price or a size 6 James Upshall Tilshead barrel for £80. All of these are brand new handmade pipes of very high quality.
What is your preference, bent or straight, smooth or sandblasted?
Regards,
Jay.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
There we go, Good I gave a notice to the seller to inspect the pipe prior shipping for any obvious factory flaws, and the owner of Ashton of Manchester Tobacconist England, told me the pipe in question had plenty fills and trills, and he suggested not to send it me, proposing either store credit or refund, I chose to have a refund and look elesewhere, so much for medium priced todays Parkers Pipes.Good honest Seller,who helped and saved my bucks and nerves again, been doing this dance before

Status
Not open for further replies.