PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yipes. I don' think anyone is defining their soul or philosophy through selling an item. This is a business transaction. Maybe they're asking high and hoping for something lower but close to asking, or maybe they're raising expectations and hoping for it to be bid up.

Karl Marx developed the idea that the mechanics of the economy were its philosophical underpinning, and it is an interesting idea with some applications, but I think we found out how that worked out as a political philosophy, and it wasn't/isn't pretty.

Reactions: Kobold

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@PipeIT

Here's another one that'll likely get rabid near the end.

I didn’t think an older GBD would go for this much either. :(

Also, considering the exact date isn’t know, but it’s somewhere in the 60s.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii

You have the right idea! 👍

No disrespect to anyone, but unless someone is wanting something less popular, then it seems it’s best to avoid the popular places selling estates, or you’re going to end up paying a premium.

I look around at all the obscure places out there, for better deals.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
You have the right idea! 👍

No disrespect to anyone, but unless someone is wanting something less popular, then it seems it’s best to avoid the popular places selling estates, or you’re going to end up paying a premium.

I look around at all the obscure places out there, for better deals.
I mainly went after that one because someone here said I couldn't get a Punto Oro for $30 anymore. You can if the seller doesn't mention it in the listing.;)

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I mainly went after that one because someone here said I couldn't get a Punto Oro for $30 anymore. You can if the seller doesn't mention it in the listing.;)

There's this thing called "fully loaded cost", though.

In the case of searching for a specific pipe for a given maximum price, finding deals takes time. Time that could be spent earning money. (By robbing a bank maybe, or counterfeiting cash, or selling meth made in an RV in the New Mexico desert. Or even doing it honestly.)

That amount is then added to the purchase price.

Depending on the particulars, a "$30 pipe" could be the most expensive pipe in the history of the world.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
In the case of searching for a specific pipe for a given maximum price, finding deals takes time. Time that could be spent earning money. (By robbing a bank maybe, or counterfeiting cash, or selling meth made in an RV in the New Mexico desert. Or even doing it honestly.)
Or you could just have a search engine send notifications and sift through the results. I acquired over 40 904s and their three variants at one point, three were Giubileo d'Oros and eleven were Punto Oros. Only five of the entire collection cost more than $30 and I just lucked into most of them.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Or you could just have a search engine send notifications and sift through the results. I acquired over 40 904s and their three variants at one point, three were Giubileo d'Oros and eleven were Punto Oros. Only five of the entire collection cost more than $30 and I just lucked into most of them.

Indeed.

Fully loaded cost takes no prisoners, though. The labor involved in setting up the search, tuning it, sifting through the results, contacting the seller(s) for clarification as needed, and doing research on those sellers---since they aren't established and might be BS'ing, usually take bad and/or insufficient pics---all count toward it. As does the risk of receiving something unexpected or damaged. (Known sellers can be trusted regarding such things. It's part of why people pay more for their stuff.)

Curiosity question: were those 40+ pipes among the ones you threw in the trash?

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
More goodies on deadmanspipes, now I’d really love to get this KB&B meerschaum, hopefully not needing to spend a fortune. hmm 🤔

Nobody bid on it, so I can get it for $75! LOL rotf

I wonder if no one did bid on it, if Todd would sell it for this much...

I read somewhere you want to stay away from screw in stems, any particular reason some pipe smokers might say this?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
More goodies on deadmanspipes, now I’d really love to get this KB&B meerschaum, hopefully not needing to spend a fortune. hmm 🤔

Nobody bid on it, so I can get it for $75! LOL rotf

I wonder if no one did bid on it, if Todd would sell it for this much...

I read somewhere you want to stay away from screw in stems, any particular reason some pipe smokers might say this?

Screw stems mean timing. Properly timed is when the button stops at dead-level when the stem is snug. All sorts of fussy things can affect the fit, though, and cause the button to stop short or over-turn.

FWIW, that band is not legit (.925) sterling to my eye. Too thick, the shine is wrong, and there's no percentage number. Just the word "sterling". (I have an entire box of bogus bands that are STAMPED sterling but aren't, so the deception was common in the PipeWorld at one time.)

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Nobody bid on it, so I can get it for $75!
I've caught auctions that ended with no bid and offered the seller the opening price and gotten it for that. I've also gotten pipes by privately making an offer before any bids are made.

Reactions: PipeIT

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Screw stems mean timing. Properly timed is when the button stops at dead-level when the stem is snug. All sorts of fussy things can affect the fit, though, and cause the button to stop short or over-turn.

FWIW, that band is not legit (.925) sterling to my eye. Too thick, the shine is wrong, and there's no percentage number. Just the word "sterling". (I have an entire box of bogus bands that are STAMPED sterling but aren't, so the deception was common in the PipeWorld at one time.)

My KB&B 1st Generation Dublin has Hallmark stamps under the logo, but looking online, there are others not Hallmarked.

Seems odd someone would fake a KB&B... hmm 🤔

A7B3CDA6-23DB-4F4F-BB1F-551709873A64.jpeg

Reactions: Chasing Embers

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
But, the logo on that meerschaum is not centered, all the older KB&B I’ve seen, the logos are centered, and the font type for the word Sterling is really large, all the others I’ve seen is smaller... hmm 🤔

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the romance of estate pipes has pushed their prices through the roof, at least the asking prices. If something is your white whale, have at it. Otherwise, comparison shop artisan pipes, new and estates, and others before shelling out for one of these sky high estate pipes.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Curiouser and curiouser. Three rarities complete and unsmoked in a short number of days from the same seller. 🤔

Screenshot_20221003-014048_Samsung Internet.jpg

If this one goes for $405.00, something's amiss.